Doug Keyser

MardyAss

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Doug Keyser. Is. AMAZING!​

(just saw the 'Control & Resistance' video at ronjarzombek.com)

He's insane, oh and that chase you two guys do after each other about 1:30 is hilarious, Ron!

How does he rank with you guys (Doug, not Ron) ?

He's very very good, but I think Pete Perez is even crazier... a shame he's pretty much completely unknown. What he does at times boggles my mind.

What's so cool about Perez is that he uses a four-string Fender... Damnit, Fenders aren't at all as playable as the guy makes them seem! Myself, I couldn't play at all until I got myself a Peavey Cirrus instead... and the guy is still a universe ahead of most people out there!
Keyser does indeed kick a butt bigger than a carport, but methinks his sound is a bit too gritty... too much Alex Lifeson for me. I've figured out that I'm probably the only one in the world who doesn't like Lifeson, though, so I guess I should shut up! :dopey:
I would very much like Sean Malone to show up on an Ink recording again, though. That guy does actually play very tastefully! His solo in Gordian Knot's "Rivers Dancing" is a thrill...

I played bass for a band in the mid-80s that did shows with Watch Tower (Keyser) and Karian (Perez). Both were and still are amazing. I prefer Doug's bass tone, especially on C&R. He attacks the strings harder than anyone I've ever seen. I don't know how his hands and arms don't get tired. Pete's a little smoother on the strings. He gives no impression that what he's playing is the slightest bit difficult. Even back in the 80's he was playing Fender. I've never seen either of them play anything but a 4-string, but on InkCompatible, there are plenty of notes lower than E, so I guess they're tuning down. I can't understand why they wouldn't play a 5 or 6 string, but they're waaaaay better than me, so who am I to question them!!!

Pete played with Riot (along with Bobby Jarzombek) for quite a while. He's on several of their albums.

When we opened for Karian, to save time, he told me not to mess with setting up my rig, just use his. He even let me play his bass, because I had a piece of junk at the time. Very cool. In fact, that show was headlined by a band from San Antonio called Slayer, featuring a pretty decent guitarist....I just can't seem to remember his name...

I've read that Pete never writes anything down - he somehow keeps everything in his head. He's gotta be a machine!!