Downloading (legally)

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
I'm looking to digitally-replenish my old 80s catalogue as cheaply as possible. I'm looking at some of these Russian sites that sell downloads for around $1 per album. I can afford a dollar.

Anyone here on UMOS have any success getting music this way?

I'm definately not weighing in here on the moral issue. But I do know for certain that those sites are actually not legal. That is, as recognized by the US. Again, I'm not taking a position here.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I'm looking to digitally-replenish my old 80s catalogue as cheaply as possible. I'm looking at some of these Russian sites that sell downloads for around $1 per album. I can afford a dollar.

Anyone here on UMOS have any success getting music this way?

That's not legal downloading, FYI.

No-Mercy said:
downloading sucks.

and even if its legal, i dont want to download no shit...thats like ipod, thats like...no cd or booklet or unrapping of the safety seals!!

I'm with you on this one, but some stuff is literally imposible to get because is OOP or never eas released on CD format, therefore I don't mind or feel it's illegal to download albums under those premises. Of course downloaded music does not count for the collection are mere curiosities.

And like SB said I doubt the money goes to the artist so why paid to Russian sites for that? I'll be more inclined if the artist put the music for sale on their own website.

Mesmerize - 'Triumph Of The Darksword'

I don't much care about legalities or moral issues in this instance. Like I said, I am RESTOCKING all the old stuff. If they didn't charge $16 for an album that is 20 years old (and I've already purchased on cassette or vinyl or both) I wouldn't be looking at this option. There is ton of old stuff that I never get to hear since my cassette player died. These albums need to be replaced, but if I have to pay $16 apiece for them, I'll be six feet under before I can get all the 80s classics on cd. Basically, I have been re-stocking classics little by little, but only when I can find them used. The artists don't make money from me anyway, so I don't feel horribly guilty about looking for alternative ways to get my hands them.

That said, I'm still a little leary of using those Russian download sites. I don't like where you have to pay $20 of credit up front. From my research I've seen many who pay up front and only download a few albums before error messages start appearing. Asking for $20 up front sort of defeats the appeal of downloading the whole album for a dollar.

I tried the new legal Napster last year, but they only offer albums at 128kps. I want at least 192.

I don't much care about legalities or moral issues in this instance. Like I said, I am RESTOCKING all the old stuff. If they didn't charge $16 for an album that is 20 years old (and I've already purchased on cassette or vinyl or both) I wouldn't be looking at this option.

That's the thing. As far as I'm concerned I've purchased the rights to quite a few albums multiple times -- vinyl, casette, *and* CD in some cases. My wife was a big casette collector back in the day and has a ton of stuff that would cost a fortune to replace on CD. Could I create a setup to record and convert all her casettes to MP3? Yeah, I could but why should I when they're all available?

SickBoy said:
If you have no moral issues then it's easy!
Download either eMule, DC++ or SoulSeek and fire away, you'll get what you want in no time.

eMule rendered me no results when I was searching for album on the weekend and the three times I tried DC++ not on;y I found the software extremely user unfriendly I hate the quota thing they use.

SoulSeek and the torrents on the other hand have proved extremely interesting to find OOP music and/or to review newer music before a purchase.

Wyvern said:
eMule rendered me no results when I was searching for album on the weekend and the three times I tried DC++ not on;y I found the software extremely user unfriendly I hate the quota thing they use.

Well, eMule has mostly relatively popular stuff, although I found lots of not-so-popular bands there...
DC++ is very powerful, but you have to find a right hub with people who share the thing you seek. The quota is to somewhat ensure you're not gonna be leeching only, but some hub owners took it to insane extremes, like 80GB or even more. Probably just kids who like to show off with their mp3 collections, as if it takes much brains to gather it...
The most useful feature is that you can see who's available for download and what speed you can expect.

SoulSeek and the torrents on the other hand have proved extremely interesting to find OOP music and/or to review newer music before a purchase.

SS never stuck with me, it's very buggy and crashes too often for my liking.
But torrents are nice, I use BitComet for them and it works like a charm. The only problem is that they have a limited life span cause people tend to remove the goods after download...

Wheezer said:
That's the thing. As far as I'm concerned I've purchased the rights to quite a few albums multiple times -- vinyl, casette, *and* CD in some cases. My wife was a big casette collector back in the day and has a ton of stuff that would cost a fortune to replace on CD. Could I create a setup to record and convert all her casettes to MP3? Yeah, I could but why should I when they're all available?
That wouldn't work very well anyway, Wheez. Those old factory cassettes were cheap-ass pieces of shit. Most of my factories are degraded beyond listenability. Thankfully, half my collection were recorded from my LPs, and were recorded on quality TDK and Maxells. Those still sound pretty good, but I've got no way to play them anymore. And my LPs? Sitting at my friends house in Idaho. He's the only person I know with a functioning turntable.

SickBoy said:
Well, eMule has mostly relatively popular stuff, although I found lots of not-so-popular bands there...
DC++ is very powerful, but you have to find a right hub with people who share the thing you seek. The quota is to somewhat ensure you're not gonna be leeching only, but some hub owners took it to insane extremes, like 80GB or even more. Probably just kids who like to show off with their mp3 collections, as if it takes much brains to gather it...
The most useful feature is that you can see who's available for download and what speed you can expect.

SS never stuck with me, it's very buggy and crashes too often for my liking.
But torrents are nice, I use BitComet for them and it works like a charm. The only problem is that they have a limited life span cause people tend to remove the goods after download...
I've had some relative success with torrents. I just scored big on two old Overkill albums. But there are many that just aren't available. On my A-list right now, there are two Exodus albums, two Running Wilds, three Riots and one Raven. NONE of these are currently available from multiple torrent searches. Finding the torrents you're looking for are definitely hit and miss. That's why I'm looking at other options.

P2p doesn't work well in this instance, not enough full albums available. I hate getting one song at a time, only to find I can't get the last two songs to complete the album. That seems to happen to me alot! P2p is great for discovering new bands, because I really just need a few songs to determine if I'm going to like the album...then I buy it. But it's frustrating in my current situation.

That wouldn't work very well anyway, Wheez. Those old factory cassettes were cheap-ass pieces of shit. Most of my factories are degraded beyond listenability.

Yeah, true. That's the other part of factory casettes. They had that built-in want-to-replace-it factor in the favor of the record companies. LPs did too but to a much lesser degree. I don't think I've worn out a CD yet. My Ride the Lightning took a stroll across a parking lot and got scratched up pretty badly but other than that, no.

I'd like to see the record companies try and bring a case against someone replacing their factory tape collection by downloading. It'd be interesting to see how it shook out.

Wheezer said:
I'd like to see the record companies try and bring a case against someone replacing their factory tape collection by downloading. It'd be interesting to see how it shook out.
I've got my box(es) of 200+ cassettes sitting in the closet, not 15 feet away from where I sit. That should be proof enough that I bought the rights to those albums! I don't think the record companies are going after people that download old albums anyway. They are targeting people who download every new release as it comes out and never pay for anything. That's not me, and I have over 250 factory cds to prove it. Besides, it's the American companies that are kicking up the big stink. And I'm not interested in any of the steaming crapola they serve these days.

I've had some relative success with torrents. I just scored big on two old Overkill albums. But there are many that just aren't available. On my A-list right now, there are two Exodus albums, two Running Wilds, three Riots and one Raven. NONE of these are currently available from multiple torrent searches. Finding the torrents you're looking for are definitely hit and miss. That's why I'm looking at other options.

Then you're best off with eMule, cause it surely has those bands available, but the catch is that you should filter your search as "archive" cause there's plenty of .zip and .rar (rarely .ace) files which hold a whole album, often with scanned covers and bonus videos if there are any and so forth...
The bands you just mentioned are relatively popular so you shouldn't have any trouble hunting them down. If you need further instructions, drop me a PM, especially when Riot's concerned, I've got their whole discography (minus ONE lousy song :bah: ) on CDs...

SickBoy said:
when Riot's concerned, I've got their whole discography (minus ONE lousy song :bah: ) on CDs...

You have "Narita" on CD? :OMG:

Damn I'm still getting forces to pay the ~$25 for the new issue of it and I still consider it expensive (although I already have it downloaded :D). Which song you don't have? (just curious)

Wyvern said:
You have "Narita" on CD? :OMG:

Yes...but I didn't mention that ALL were originals :D
Most of them are, though... ;)
I didn't give up "the quest for Riot discography on original CDs", just took a break, that's all...

Damn I'm still getting forces to pay the ~$25 for the new issue of it and I still consider it expensive (although I already have it downloaded ).

http://tinyurl.com/e3w55
It's that same CD available on UK Amazon store starting from 9 pounds (around US$16).

Which song you don't have? (just curious)

"Somebody"
It's a japanese (surprise surprise...) bonus track for "Through The Storm".
The jap. copy is $30+, I'm not gonna pay THAT much for one song only...
I didn't find it anywhere on p2p, if someone owns that CD, I'd be most grateful if we could arrange a download session for me...

My biggest expense was "Angel Eyes" japanese EP which has 2 otherwise unreleased songs (15 Rivers and Red Reign, both own IMO), which cost me $20+shipping on eBay. And I already owned jap.ed. of "Inishmore" and decided to give it a go... Mind you, those two songs ain't available ANYWHERE. Talk about Riot's popularity... ;)
I had luck with jap.ed. of "Sons Of Society", got it brand new, shrink wrapped including OBI for mere $13+shipping on eBay. :tickled:
I hate whoever decided to reissue "Nightbreaker" with useless "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" cover instead of Riot's original "On The Run", which is (to make things worse!) one of my favs off that CD... Now I have to buy that "shark" version as well! :yell: Luckily, it's cheap on The End Records store.

Hey Sickboy, doesn't eMule have alot of bundled software with it? Reviews I read had alot of people bitching about that, and that was on cnet. I've never even tried eMule or DC++ because of those concerns.

Nope, TSO!
Emule is as clean as a whistle, the dodgy program with bundled crap is eDonkey. I use emule for ages and it's really as clean as possible...
Check it out at www.emule-project.org

I didn't see any bundles installed with DC++ as well. With some clone maybe, but with DCplusplus, nope...