SM7B vs AT4040 for vocals

NickL

I'm not here.
Jan 31, 2007
Illinois
I'm going to sell some stuff to buy one of these and I can only afford one for right now. Now, I realize these are two very different mics but the thing is I need a mic for both cleans and growls. The AT4040 is looking good because of the fact that I could use it for acoustic guitars as well but the SM7B is... well, it's an SM7B. I guess I'm mostly interested if anybody has had any success in recording growls with an AT4040

i just got a 4040 and it is indeed a nice mic. it is a noticable jump up in quality from the other condesers i own(nt1a, 2020, b1, co1) it seems way more detailed and in a different league in terms of detail and depth. i will be recording some vocals next week with a metal band i record and produce and i will most likely use this mic. im sure i will post a mix or two. im sure this mic will live in my locker until it dies and im sure way before then i will buy another. next in line for mics for me is a sm7b, heil pr40 and im thinkin about an mxl v69me for a tube mic.

Everyone who uses the 4040 has success recording vocals.
Yeah I keep hearing this and the fact that A. I can use it on acoustic guitars and B. I wont have to buy a high-gain preamp to use it is making me lean towards it. Do you ever record growls on one?

and unsilpauly, i'd like to hear those mixes when you post them

Yeah I keep hearing this and the fact that A. I can use it on acoustic guitars and B. I wont have to buy a high-gain preamp to use it is making me lean towards it. Do you ever record growls on one?

and unsilpauly, i'd like to hear those mixes when you post them

I have a 4060. Vocal style doesn't matter...you'll get good results with the 4040 regardless.