Dragonforce / Turisas / Powerglove, 14 Nov 08, Ogden Theater, Denver CO

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Dragonforce, Turisas, Powerglove
14 November 2008, Ogden Theater, Denver, CO
by Ryan Starr

NERDS UNITE! Nerds, of whom I am proud to be, came together in Denver for video games, beer, and glory. We spent the night reminiscing about our youth through music, remembering just how fun it was. It was a magnificent night, and probably one of the most fun shows I’ve been too.

IMG_1830.jpg

First to the stage was Powerglove, the only band I wasn’t familiar with before the show. At first glance, I thought Gwar had changed their name. But after further examination of their outfits I made the connection back to my spotty youth. It was like a time warp, reliving the hours spent in front of the TV. Their set contained metal interpretations of Mario Brothers, Final Fantasy, Power Rangers and other infamous theme songs. But that isn’t the only thing Powerglove brings to the stage. They brought a huge bag of Starburst and inflatable swords for the crowd, just to enhance the memories of our sugar induced hyperactivity. Powerglove must be living their childhood dreams, playing guitars and video games for money, and you can tell they love what they do. Next time they come around you better check ‘em out, and bring your Mega Man lunch box, so you can carry their merch around in style.

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

Playing the cherry spot was one of my favorite bands, Turisas. Last time I saw them, they had terrible sound, and I was anxious to hear them with a proper sound man. Unfortunately not all was well sound wise. The guitar was nowhere to be found, despite their efforts to sort out the problem. The tour manager and various stage techs made occasional jaunts across stage to sort out the problem, but with no luck. But in the end, it really didn’t have a huge impact, since the melody is often carried in the violin, accordion, and symphonic backing tracks. Turisas is known for their stage presence and crowd interaction; both were delivered in archetypal fashion. Lastly, throughout this tour Nygard has been on a mission to find a good American beer. Last time he found one, but this time they brought him something from Shiner. Before drinking it, he asked the crowd if this was a good beer, to which we all replied no and started yelling out our favorite beers (for me it was Laughing Lab from Bristol Brewery). After he had a drink, a look of disappointment washed over his face and he grabbed a bottle of water and asked us what the difference between the two was. Perhaps next time he will trust a Coloradoan’s superior taste in beer and let us pick for him.

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Headlining were power metal sensations Dragonforce. A lot of “true” power metal fans dismiss Dragonforce, claiming they write bland riffs and wanky solos. I would submit that while it isn’t the same as Blind Guardian or Helloween, there are plenty of redeeming factors, both in their music and live show. The set started off with a supernova of pink lights (yup, pink) and was followed by 2 hours of guitar shredding, piercing vocals, and on stage antics. One thing that stands out during their show is how much fun they have, both with the crowd and with each other. Frequently you could catch one band member making fun of another in a way only best friends can. But more importantly, Dragonforce work wonders with the crowd. Sure, all the typical gimmicks are there, but how many bands will take your camera and take pictures for you of all the band members? From the minute they step on stage they build a relationship with each and every person in a crowd, in a way few bands can and that makes their performance extra special for each fan in the crowd.

IMG_1949.jpg

It was a night designed to bring back childhood memories and create new ones, and it was a total success. Sure, some will make fun of you for attending this type of concert, but who cares? When an opportunity like this comes around, you can’t turn it down. Don’t be afraid to let your inner nerd.

IMG_1972.jpg

More Photos

Official Dragonfroce Website
Official Dragonforce Myspace
Official Turisas Website
Official Turisas Myspace
Official Powerglove Website
Official Powerglove Myspace

Official Roadrunner Records Website
Official Century Media Website

I'm so annoyed I wouldn't have been there but I did manage to catch a show in Cardiff and it was one of the msot memorable nights of my life :D