Dragonspoon - My first impressions

Mr Toast

Threadslayer
Aug 1, 2002
www.mrtoast.com
As some of you may know, this is the new project of former Fates Warning guitarist Frank Aresti, which I picked up on Amazon.com (also available through Dragonspoon's homepage).

This is best described a fusion of Industrial and Metal, with subtle prog metal influences, and in my opinion it works awesomely!!! Frank even covers Moving In Stereo, originally done by The Cars, and does it very well!

The transisitons from song to song on this album also work extremely well (most are very smooth...). This album takes you for a ride, and took me quite off guard (Most of the albums I've picked up lately take a few listens to really grab me, if they ever do...).

On a couple of songs Franks voice has some uncanny similarities to Metallica's vocalist, which works well for ths songs in question. However, his voice range is a bit higher, and fits perfectly for the Moving In Stereo cover...

If you are looking for awesome guitar shredding, you won't find it on this album. However, Franks's excellent guitar work (and sound) accent the pieces very nicely, without going overboard, which just makes the whole thing work!

This album may not be for everyone, but I'm hooked!

The Dragonspoon website:
http://www.dragonspoon.com