disastrous impressions

eduard

New Metal Member
Oct 17, 2003
Having gone through pretty much everything that has been said about ‘a natural disaster’, I would like to add my impression of Anathema’s latest, ‘cause there hasn’t been a review, or something like it, I could totally agree on.

To put my assessment in perspective, Anathema is my most recent favorite band for a couple of years now (Queen, Maiden, Metallica and Floyd in chronological order have been on this pedestal as well) and i like A4 and judgement best.

So, if I have to judge this album my reference will be Anathema’s former releases and not my own output as a musician. My expectations were very high, because of what the lads have done before and I have not been disappointed. Having said, that I feel AND doesn’t quite reach the heights of the two master pieces mentioned before.

Harmonium is a great opener in my opinion, good atmosphere and a perfect introduction for the best part of the album: ‘Balance’ and ‘Closer’. I won’t deny these songs sound like Radiohead, but if the songs are this good,iI’ve got no complaints. If 'Balance' is simply great with the best vocals of the album, I have to say ,’Closer’ is stunning. Heard this one performed live in Dordrecht about half a year ago and liked it straight away, which only happens very rarely with me. The vocal effect is brilliant as it provides a very intense claustrophobic feel which fits the lyrics perfectly (‘This song is about being stuck in the head, I’m not anymore now’,DC) the build up and finish is sensational and for me this is a classic Anathema song already, very addictive stuff.

Down side is we have had the highlight a bit early. ‘Are you there?’ is lovely, although I prefer Vinny’s vocals. Danny had to sing this one, i guess and he has a good voice but unfortunately you tend to compare the brothers’ voices, which probably is unfair.

‘Childhood dream’ reminds me of Morricone and Floyd. The song for which the band owes most credit to one of their favorites is ‘Pulled under’. The groove and melody is very similar to Floyd’s ‘sheep’ and the singing reminds me (and probably most people who know the song) of the same band’s ‘What shall we do now’, a track from the Wall, which is not on the album but is definitely on the movie.’ Check this one out if you haven’t done that so far’, would have been a nice suggestion from the band to put on the album sleeve. The good thing is, again, they have used these ‘influences’ to great effect: marvelous song (Pulled under).

The fragile title track is nicely placed behind the most aggressive song of the album and the female vocal works out pretty good.’ Flying’ is a song I would rate as good, (the same goes for ‘Electricity’, a mellow song like ‘are you there?’ and ‘a natural disaster’, maybe one too many for my likings) without being spectacular. The idea of ‘Violence’ is great, the song is very good but something is missing to call it brilliant, although I feel they were very close, which sums up the album for me.

If I had to rate this album I would say 8.5

Cheers.

it's very lovely and all, but why did you open another thread mate? like there aren't about 100 more already... :rolleyes:

you're right about closer tho. :)

sol83 said:
it's very lovely and all, but why did you open another thread mate? like there aren't about 100 more already... :rolleyes:
my thaughts exactly...i mean guys..do bother check the rest of the threads before you open a similar one like...anyways nice review honest and all...but still these comparison with the "heads" and all.

sol83 said:

you're right about closer tho. :)

i need attention. by the way, i don't want to be in the same thread as the one who had one listen and then decided to come up with negative comments.
Needed a couple of weeks and 20 to 30 listens to give a decent impression. Wonder what the inner circle guys (duncan,mick,mehdi) think of the album. They don't seem to feel the need to express it on the forum, by the looks of it.