New anathema album, first impressions

Tragicus

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Having heard the album only one time, i will try not to be too harsh.
First song is not bad but a forgetable one.
Two songs with Danny on the vocals closer and electricity, both great songs. One song A Natural Disaster featuring a female vocalist with some backing vocals, an ok song. The other songs features Vincent singing through some kind of electronical device or with something in his voice except for the song flying which is an ok song and Balance which sounds good untill the distorted guitars. One song reminded me of Krafterwerk and other electronic stuff. Some of the songs sound like thrash metal(!), sometimes interrupted with more calm moments, but do not (to me) give me any "feeling". Most of the songs i didnt get the lyrics, simple because of the chaos, a pity.
No temporary peace here, no One last goodbye here, in my opinion there is no feeling in the songs, actually i think this will be poor live songs.
I like anathema, let me rephrase that, i STILL like anathema, but this...i am deeply disapointed. But as Danny said "should appeal to some of the anathema fans" just not me...a pity really.

Well, after having heard the track on their website, I'm inclined to think that your review is misleading, as that song was/is INCREDIBLE. However, I guess anything can happen, right?

Heck, the latest Antimatter really sucked - perhaps that dreaded "bug" has bitten Anathema, as well.

And, based upon the last 2 My Dying Bride releases, I'm betting that their new one is lame, as well.

Too bad....

Oh well, at least we still have Katatonia & the Gathering!

It was a first impression, please give it some discount. But yea after Are you there? i was as expecting much. Second listen now.

Both songs by Danny are good, and i was expecting the album to be more in this calm way. I had high hopes for the songs with Vincent. Also no memorable guitar playing here. Oh well on the high note great development in the vocals by Danny. Cheers

Tragicus said:
Having heard the album only one time, i will try not to be too harsh.
First song is not bad but a forgetable one.
Two songs with Danny on the vocals closer and electricity, both great songs. One song A Natural Disaster featuring a female vocalist with some backing vocals, an ok song. The other songs features Vincent singing through some kind of electronical device or with something in his voice except for the song flying which is an ok song and Balance which sounds good untill the distorted guitars. One song reminded me of Krafterwerk and other electronic stuff. Some of the songs sound like thrash metal(!), sometimes interrupted with more calm moments, but do not (to me) give me any "feeling". Most of the songs i didnt get the lyrics, simple because of the chaos, a pity.
No temporary peace here, no One last goodbye here, in my opinion there is no feeling in the songs, actually i think this will be poor live songs.
I like anathema, let me rephrase that, i STILL like anathema, but this...i am deeply disapointed. But as Danny said "should appeal to some of the anathema fans" just not me...a pity really.
sounds like huge dissapointment to me... damn it...

SoundMaster said:

Too bad....

Oh well, at least we still have Katatonia & the Gathering!
The Gathering?! You must be kidding - so, dull and pathetic, no fucking way, we have nothing, if anathema crashes down...

i think the guy gave a pretty good description about the album... the thing about the vocals passing through electronical device really bothers me a lot (and the AIR comparisions) - one thing is for sure - i won't buy it until i hear it properly...
that was a good warning tragicus... 10x

Ivo said:
i think the guy gave a pretty good description about the album... the thing about the vocals passing through electronical device really bothers me a lot (and the AIR comparisions) - one thing is for sure - i won't buy it until i hear it properly...
that was a good warning tragicus... 10x

Did you allready hear it or not?

i didn't but as i said the description is like a very good warning

Well, allthough we have to wait untill we have heard it ourselves, it would be nice to hear some more opinions. So far two people have posted a short review here (both after hearing it one time) and both said totally different things about it. So I'm curious... :p