New anathema album, first impressions

i always wondered if 'for one second' means like 'its been 1 second im doing that', or more like 'during one second i did that'.

I didn't hear it for the moment and will wait for October 20th.

Anyway I'm quite happy to see that there are no "temporary peace 2" or "the return of One last goodbye". Time for a change! You can be pissed off not to find usual things at first sight, but after a dozen of listening you are more than happy to listen to real new stuff!

intet said:
Pro tip: Wait a week before you write a review.
yeah dammit. what i basically know more now, is there are transitions and heavy riffs, songs starting off quietly.
the rest i already knew.

i know nothing more, only disappointment, which i will judge for myself. :yell:

tho it was nice of you to inform us, it's basically hollow as yet
thanx anyway :wave:

This is just pathetic :tickled: If I was in a band I wouldn't give a shit about the critics cause they all think they know what it's all about.

Some say it's too heavy, some say it's too experimental, or too electronic, or too varied, or too one-sided, or too retro, or too whatever. What the fuck?! And also, the shittiest thing is to base one's own judgement (judgement? haha) on some other people's opinion even before said one hasn't even listened to the album.

Btw, the last album by The Gathering is just boring, although I have heard only one song, and only once.

im really interested in other people's opinion about our stuff. as long as its clever and balanced like.

mehdi.i.e.e.e said:
i always wondered if 'for one second' means like 'its been 1 second im doing that', or more like 'during one second i did that'.

It can mean both, like "I've been holding my dick in my hand for one second" OR "I held my dick in my hand for one second". In the first case you haven't come yet but you may in a couple of minutes, in the second one you don't have a chance to come any more, cause it's all Past Tense and you released your dick.

You'll FAIL the English test, my friend.

mehdi.i.e.e.e said:
im really interested in other people's opinion about our stuff. as long as its clever and balanced like.

Yeah, but a lot of people are unable to give balanced and clever criticism. Like Danny's voice and Feeling, I don't think there's any problem with Danny's voice (to tell the truth, I didn't even realize which one of them was singing Are You There? until I had been told), and in fact the concert of the year for me is his acoustic gig in Budapest this spring just because it was emotional all over. So I just don't get this "lack of emotion" thing.

there, you gave a balanced opinion, im sure danny would be interested in reading this. that was my point.

'Pulled Under at 2000 meters a second' 'A Natural Disaster' and 'Violence' are masterpieces, all very different. 'Pulled Under' being an adrenaline rush, fast and tormenting song. 'A Natural Disaster ' is a wonderful ballad with the Cavanagh cousin singing I guess ( her voice is marvellous ) and ' Violence ' is a 10 minutes long instrumental beginning with a beautiful sad piano part, then turning into an epic fast pagan metal track :) and ending in a very soothing atmosphere with awesome guitar work from Danny, Eternity style mixed with the end of ' Temporary peace' in a way.

Other songs that arouse my attention are ' Are You There ? ', ' Childhood Dream ' , ' Flying ' and ' Electricity '
No need to describe R U There, so ' Childhood Dream ' is a dark instrumental with doomy acoustic guitars and children speaking as a background, Flying contains Vinny's best vocals of the album IMO, catchy melodic rock song. ' Electricity ' is a beautiful ballad mainly based on the piano with Danny singing. And the basslines in it are gorgeous.

The first three songs of the album are harder to get into for me. ' Harmonium ', ' Balance ' and ' Closer ' are experimentals songs in a way. But all the album can be said to be experimental. ' Closer ' does contain heavy effects on the vox yeah. But it suits the atmosphere quite well IMO.

Well all you need to know is that it's a very sad, beautiful, soothing, tormenting, heavy and masterpiece album. Now listen to it when you wish and grow your own opinion. :)

P.S : the back cover is quite nice actually :)

Andy_2003 said:
how come the other guy that tried it has such a different opinion?

Because I'm not him. He's not me. We're different human beings with different tastes and opinions. Obvious heh ? :p

Andy_2003 said:
didn't you say you thought it could be the best? so how come you can't like first 3 songs?

I've listened to it twice now. It's the first time an Anathema album overthrows me so much after a couple of hearings only. Well maybe the first one since Eternity. So i guess it's good omen and it can become one of my very favourites in the near future.
Concerning the first 3 songs, i didn't say that I don't like them. It's just that they're less catchy than the others IMO, maybe because they're kind of darker.
But you know, the first times I listened to A4 or Lights Out for instance, I thought that they weren't 'catchy' albums and I really didn't like them so much.
Now they are masterpieces for me...

mehdi.i.e.e.e said:
i like it,
especially 'I am your loss', I will kill', 'always late enough', 'old habits', ....... (exualy, all of them)
great job

(hope this was clever and balanced like)

cedarbreed said:
'Pulled Under at 2000 meters a second' 'A Natural Disaster' and 'Violence' are masterpieces, all very different. 'Pulled Under' being an adrenaline rush, fast and tormenting song. 'A Natural Disaster ' is a wonderful ballad with the Cavanagh cousin singing I guess ( her voice is marvellous ) and ' Violence ' is a 10 minutes long instrumental beginning with a beautiful sad piano part, then turning into an epic fast pagan metal track :) and ending in a very soothing atmosphere with awesome guitar work from Danny, Eternity style mixed with the end of ' Temporary peace' in a way.

Other songs that arouse my attention are ' Are You There ? ', ' Childhood Dream ' , ' Flying ' and ' Electricity '
No need to describe R U There, so ' Childhood Dream ' is a dark instrumental with doomy acoustic guitars and children speaking as a background, Flying contains Vinny's best vocals of the album IMO, catchy melodic rock song. ' Electricity ' is a beautiful ballad mainly based on the piano with Danny singing. And the basslines in it are gorgeous.

The first three songs of the album are harder to get into for me. ' Harmonium ', ' Balance ' and ' Closer ' are experimentals songs in a way. But all the album can be said to be experimental. ' Closer ' does contain heavy effects on the vox yeah. But it suits the atmosphere quite well IMO.

Well all you need to know is that it's a very sad, beautiful, soothing, tormenting, heavy and masterpiece album. Now listen to it when you wish and grow your own opinion. :)

P.S : the back cover is quite nice actually :)

Now this is more like it!
Now I'm really excited!!!

However, being that you've stated you actually like "Lights Out", our tastes may be really different.....