Is Antimatter the new Anathema?

Burnn

Ashes 2 Ashes Dust 2 Dust
Oct 9, 2002
Paris - France
www.meh.fr.st
Coucou all!

After Antimatter's gig in Paris I've felt a really strange stuff... Let me explain.
Last year in December I've seen Anathema for the second time, the gig was great but I preferred the gig of April '99.... I just had the feeling a part of the Anathema's spirit was gone...
Then after, we heard that Danny had join Antimatter and left Anathema...

When I saw Antimatter live I've found the Anathema spirit again!!! It was so great! I really had the feeling Danny had more fun during that acoustic gig than during Anathema's gig of last December... It was like the feeling I had about Anathema in 99 was now more present in Antimatter than in Anathema...

So I wonder if Antimatter may be the 'new Anathema'... Am I the only one who felt that, or did some of you feell it too??

Is it really the Anathema's spirit or is it just the Duncan's spirit?? (Duncan had left the band when I saw Anathema in 99 but Judgment wasn't released yet)...

Burn

Now I won't say that antimatter is like the old anathema... But I'm sure of it Duncan had a special influence to their music and the atmosphere that hangs around the band.

You know, I like the three last anathema-albums most (A4, Ju and AFDTE), Eternity is a weird album: Vinny's vocals, strange songs... I'm not saying I don't like it, I only feel the other ones are better BTW Judgement was CD of the month in loads of magazines!!!

But you may have a small point over there Burn.

If you compare them musically they're very different. Now if you compare the feeling... I don't know. It's totaly personal. No one can judge each other's feelings on something. Duncan was a big (if not huge) part of Anathema and it is very logical to pass a similar kind of feeling to his new band. Botton line remains that it is entirely personal how you feel about it.

I must agree with you up to a point,Burn.
Danny and Duncan were the "core"of Anathema and after Duncan was gone,there was a huge,unrefillable gap,a Face missing from the Anathema Holy Trinity(cheeeese:lol: :lol: :lol: ):Duncan,Danny and the Spirit of Anathema.
Of course,Danny,being an exceptional musician,managed to stand up and fill in the gaps,unfolding his talent even more and given the gradual awakening of other band members(-->John),we now have the Judgement and AFDTE masterpieces(imho)in our hands;still,though,there was the(subconscious maybe)sigh of duncan's absence...
As far as "fun"is concerned,we are all(in one way or another) aware of some problems that detract(ed) from the band's wellbeing,which,of course,resulted in Danny's temporary departure and general perturbances inside the band.
The musical attraction and friendship between Duncan and Danny and the constant creative energy they both had,though,was still present and promising,plus the august presence of another talented musician,talking about Mick,started to rake up memories of the primal Anathema spirit...
We had thoughts of Danny joining Antimatter,which,though,had the results that we know,but also had that unique outcome,that we experienced as several acoustic concerts(watch this space).
It would be unfair to say that Anathema are in a state of decadence,as it sometimes has been stated and compare them with Antimatter,which is a rising force,with fresh,raging energy,which,though,has not yet experienced the pernicious consequences of time...
Summarising,Anathema and Antimatter,are two different bands,following their own,separate directions,entwining at the same time,in a Gordian Knot,which we wish to remain unbreakable.

*the above cover my personal opinion,according to my humble perspective of situations*

hmm... difficult matter, I think. N need to discuss Duncan's importance to the band, but Judgement to me is one of THE records of all time.
I guess the problem is that there seems to be a kind of constant quarrel between Danny and Vinny. I hoped that now, with Jamie back in the band, this would change, and I still do hope, but apparently, this is not the case. I always thought that as brothers you share something that's more important and deeper than anything else, e.g. relationships with women, because they come and go anyway, but ... oh well... this makes me really sad :cry:

"I always thought that as brothers you share something that's more important and deeper than anything else"

do you have any brothers?? :lol:

Do you think guys that it's possible, Duncan to go back to Anathema, someday?

Originally posted by Bambi
"I always thought that as brothers you share something that's more important and deeper than anything else"

do you have any brothers?? :lol:

:lol: there speaks a man whose brothers are called maolsheachlann and toirdhealbach

Originally posted by Ivo
Do you think guys that it's possible, Duncan to go back to Anathema, someday?

He shouldn't (and I don't think he will) . But that's only my opinion......

C'mon guys, please don't tell me that you would trust a woman more than your brother :eek: That can't be true.
Is there some weird kind of competition going on between brothers? I don't know, I'm female...

Originally posted by neph
C'mon guys, please don't tell me that you would trust a woman more than your brother :eek: That can't be true.
Is there some weird kind of competition going on between brothers? I don't know, I'm female...

Me too, and my brother :) rules!!

Duncan is going froward with Antimatter, and he shouldn't go back in Anathema in my opinion...
And I've started thi stopic becoz the way Antimatter played som etunes of Anathema moved me bigger than when Anathema played them!!!

That's why I wonder... Maybe I'm more fan of Ducan's music than Anathema's....

Burn

well burn, on the last point u made, that may be true cause the songs antimatter played at their gigs were songs that duncan wrote..so it has more of a certain feeling then it has when people who didnt write the songs play them...its the same thing with a fine day to exit or judgment, if antimatter were to cover those songs, it wouldnt feel as good or the same as if the guys that are now in anathema played it..about the initial gig thing, i dunno, maybe that day things didnt go perfectly and it didnt give u as good of a feeling as the one in 99. but antimatter and anathema are 2 different things..i dont think should replace anathema with antimatter for any reason, u can dislike one of them or prefer one to the other...but not replace. thats what i think. oe.

Originally posted by speakinstone
Or maybe the guys from Anathema will all join Antimatter..? But please, not until 12 December!! ;)

So you decided to go, perhaps? 'Cause, uh-oh, if you're planning to see Anathema in Holland, then I'll have to start thinking that also for phuks sake!

Originally posted by Crack Hitler
So you decided to go, perhaps? 'Cause, uh-oh, if you're planning to see Anathema in Holland, then I'll have to start thinking that also for phuks sake!

Yeees, I'm going!!!! :hotjump: I tried to book the tickets yesterday to that place they play (Tivoli) but the local ticketservice didn't know yet about that gig..I'll try again today. So you're coming with..!?! ;)

I'm kinda hurried now but I'll be back...