Vote: your fave Anathema album!

Your favourite Anathema album? Choose only one!

• The Crestfallen EP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Serenades

• Pentecost III EP

• The Silent Enigma

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Eternity

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Alternative 4

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Judgement

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • A Fine Day To Exit

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Don Corleone
no votes for the first three yet. cmon, admit it, darren is not a good vocalist at all.

i like it, i like his vocals. each of us has his own tastes, haven't we? i think it's just that most of the anathema fans like the latest releases the most, but still most of us like the first ones.

you should learn to be more tolerant my turkish mate :)

peace,
mehdi

ah cmon mehdi, this is not fair. im not being intolerant, im evaluating and criticizing.

i know :) but it's not fair to say he's a bad vocalist when some of us like it :)

peace,
mehdi

no votes for the first three yet. cmon, admit it, darren is not a good vocalist at all.
Well, my favourite Anathema song is My Kingdom, and that has Darren as the vocalist :p But I think the appeal of Anathema has little to do with the vocals, the music has never been solely about vocals, it's the atmosphere the entire band generates. I mean, the first couple of releases were mostly death-vocals, which is pretty standard for that type of thing, so noone can really complain with that- Darren's certainly no worse at that than anyone else. And I really dug that whole spoken-word thing he started doing on Pentecost, I thought it suited the atmosphere well (Eternal Rise Of The Sun gives me chills).
And also it comes down to what you regard as good vocals (gee, I sound like I'm rushing to his defence, don't I :lol: I just think your statement was a little harsh :D). Are you interested in someone who is note-perfect, or someone who conveys some sort of real emotion (granted, someone who does both is preferable ;)).

Oh, and maybe your comment should replace the "is" with a "was" ? :D

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom

Oh, and maybe your comment should replace the "is" with a "was" ? :D

He's not dead is he? ;)

What about his new gig, Dead Men Dream or something like that. Maybe his voice is still the same as it always was.

I used to think his voice sucked until I actually thought about it. It's not bad to be honest. It's no worse than Nick Holmes of that era anyway, so it was definitely the style of the time.

Originally posted by requiem
He's not dead is he? ;)

he's not but he hardly gives any news. he was supposed to send me a CD like 10 months ago. i'm still waiting for it :)

What about his new gig, Dead Men Dream or something like that. Maybe his voice is still the same as it always was.

yeah, it sounds like on The Blood Divine albums, with a bit more rock than metal touch. at least, that's what i felt from the very few bits i heard.

I used to think his voice sucked until I actually thought about it. It's not bad to be honest. It's no worse than Nick Holmes of that era anyway, so it was definitely the style of the time. [/QUOTE]

yeah, and at least, Daz doesn't try to sing like a 80's new wave singer. i really like latest paradise lost albums, but it always feels like he's almost ouf of tune, it's kinda strange. but on stage, he's most of time out of tune, and that sucks ass.

peace,
mehdi

Originally posted by mehdi.i.e.e.e
yeah, and at least, Daz doesn't try to sing like a 80's new wave singer. i really like latest paradise lost albums, but it always feels like he's almost ouf of tune, it's kinda strange. but on stage, he's most of time out of tune, and that sucks ass.

That's a pity.

I haven't bothered picking anything up after 'One Second', although I was very close to buying 'Believe in Nothing' just the other day. I like 'One Second', but evidently not enough to immediately buy anything released after it.

And his singing is a bit boring now.... Although I haven't heard the last two albums, so I might be off the mark a tad.

He's not dead is he? ;)

I used to think his voice sucked until I actually thought about it. It's not bad to be honest. It's no worse than Nick Holmes of that era anyway, so it was definitely the style of the time.
OK, let's face it: i love you all. i love our discussions here and our little friendships and so forth. but this definitely doesnt make darren's vox "good". when i mean "good", i mean death vocals like swanö's, akerfeldt's or friden's. or at least that bum from dark tranquility...there are no crescendos, no changes, no notes at all in darren's vocals. if you cant hear the difference between his vocals and the ones i mentioned above, then you're either too deaf to hear it, or too dumb to discern it or too proud to admit it. look, i like slipknot and korn, but i dont claim them to be good bands at all. you may like darren, but this shouldnt prevent you from criticizing his art. i finish off once again with a fave saying of mine from duncan patterson:
"Honestly , I don't think Darren was really able to sing."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
and come on guys, take it easy. it's not a big deal if i disapprove of darren's vocals. dont take it personally. :p

I haven't bothered picking anything up after 'One Second', although I was very close to buying 'Believe in Nothing' just the other day. I like 'One Second', but evidently not enough to immediately buy anything released after it.
I'd actually recommend picking up 'Host', it's quite a catchy album. not amazing or anything, but a nice change of pace when the demonic screeching gets too much ;).

Oh, and by the 'was' in regards to Darren, I mean't that with The Blood Divine, to my ears atleast, he was sounding really good, it was a little different from what anyone else was doing- actually, everything about that band felt like a breath of fresh air :)

Don @ I don't think anyone was too worried by you not rateing Darren :D

oh, all right. and hey, i never said anyone was WORRIED, but PISSED.

well, i gotta check out his new style in the blood divine.

and yeah, i like paradise lost's new style too. and one second is a great album (except that boring last track).

if you cant hear the difference between his vocals and the ones i mentioned above, then you're either too deaf to hear it, or too dumb to discern it or too proud to admit it.

or maybe we just have different opinions? does it make us inferior than you? ;)

peace,
mehdi

i know :) but it's not fair to say he's a bad vocalist when some of us like it :)

peace,
mehdi

listen i was in a band with darren white for five years and i love him as a friend. and i am telling you he was a bad vocalist. a good motivator, good artist and good lyricist as well, but when it came to tunes he just didnt have it. maybe some people like it but i am not sure that makes him a good singer. also there is an exception to the spotty cock rock theme on judgement, namely the stuff john and i did. even though i am a wanker. one last goodbye hits the fucking spot. fuck pybus and forget about him. he aint worth it.

Originally posted by pagan2002
listen i was in a band with darren white for five years and i love him as a friend. and i am telling you he was a bad vocalist. a good motivator, good artist and good lyricist as well, but when it came to tunes he just didnt have it. maybe some people like it but i am not sure that makes him a good singer.

then again it depends on what you call good : is it singing right in tune or doing a job that pleases people? i think that as far as it pleases some people, then it's good. for exemple, Kurt Cobain wasn't a wonderful guitar player, RObert Smith ain't a great singer and Vinny was often somehow out of tune on 'Eternity'. but still some people like this, so i consider we can call it good :)

and for what comes to Merdit...err...well...let's forget him :mad:

peace,
mehdi

Vinny was often somehow out of tune on 'Eternity'. but still some people like this, so i consider we can call it good :)

I don't think he was out of tune very much at all. His voice was just different, and kind of thick...

There's a slight difference between Darren White's singing and Cobain's riffs. It doesn't really come down to skill, but I think effectiveness.

Most people agree Cobain was effective, while there is more of a split opinion about White's effectiveness. Some like it, some don't.

fuck pybus and forget about him. he aint worth it.
but it doesn't change fact that pybus' "anyone, anywhere" is one of most liked songs of anathema, it's not my favourite song from "judgement", but i heard loads of opinions saying that it's marvellous song.

listen i was in a band with darren white for five years and i love him as a friend. and i am telling you he was a bad vocalist. a good motivator, good artist and good lyricist as well, but when it came to tunes he just didnt have it. maybe some people like it but i am not sure that makes him a good singer. also there is an exception to the spotty cock rock theme on judgement, namely the stuff john and i did. even though i am a wanker. one last goodbye hits the fucking spot. fuck pybus and forget about him. he aint worth it.

woohoo, i love it when things get personal! it is great to hear such inside info from the band.

well, could anyone please answer my question (doesnt have to be danny, but it would be good to hear it from the first person): just what has pybus done? ive heard things before from other people, but i dont know exactly.