New anathema album, first impressions

What kind of an idiot slates an album after only one listen? Many albums, first listen i have been unimpressed, yet after repeat listens become favorite albums, where as most albums that i love on first listen i find i get bored with very quickly......

I for one, cant wait to hear the new anathema album... also, while we are on the subject,
The new gathering album is rather great actually, and funnily enough, i didnt think i was going to like it after the first listen.......

Tragicus said:
Having heard the album only one time, i will try not to be too harsh.
First song is not bad but a forgetable one.
Two songs with Danny on the vocals closer and electricity, both great songs. One song A Natural Disaster featuring a female vocalist with some backing vocals, an ok song. The other songs features Vincent singing through some kind of electronical device or with something in his voice except for the song flying which is an ok song and Balance which sounds good untill the distorted guitars. One song reminded me of Krafterwerk and other electronic stuff. Some of the songs sound like thrash metal(!), sometimes interrupted with more calm moments, but do not (to me) give me any "feeling". Most of the songs i didnt get the lyrics, simple because of the chaos, a pity.
No temporary peace here, no One last goodbye here, in my opinion there is no feeling in the songs, actually i think this will be poor live songs.
I like anathema, let me rephrase that, i STILL like anathema, but this...i am deeply disapointed. But as Danny said "should appeal to some of the anathema fans" just not me...a pity really.
I thought you were CRAZY when you first posted this... but now that I've finally heard the album... I have to agree with you completely!

Excellent:10
Worst:0

Harmonium: 8
Balance: 9
Closer: 0 (It could be negative also)
Are You There: 6
Childhood dream: 5
Pulled under: 9 (Reminds me of panic)
A natural disaster: 7
Flying: 9
Electricity: 4
Violence: 9

Mariner said:
ive mp3s on me pc tho, but theyre from artists i would never buy a cd from
alejandro said:
hahahaha, 100% legal??
they arent losing any proft cause i aint buying the album. so the artist doesnt miss the income he would get otherwise, and i win the song.

i cant even listen to it sorry :puke : :lol: :lol:

@achernar you should first listen and then review.i cant see where your complaint comes from so shuddup :D

Well, you gotta do it with your ears wide open. Not attached to rip-finder and oldtime-lover feelings or stuff like that...anyway, everyone's entitled for an opinion. I enjoy the album too but a proper review should be made one year after the release...maybe one day this'll be your fave one...hasn't happened before like?

But then again...

...fuck it!

somnium_in_tenebris said:
a natural disaster:5 (Lee's voice is great,the chords are good but i dont like the vocal lines.its like copying Antimatter who copy Portishead.Anathema trying to sound like a band they are not.Experiments are accepted tho)
Erm no. Dont you mean Anathema copying Portishead. What the fuck has it to do with Antimatter?

Well, anathema, antimatter and ulver are three quite distinct bands accused of copying portishead. It seems like anything with any electronics these days is a portishead copy like...I say fuck it! Just call it music FFS.

the drums and the vox on the title track sound a bit portishead indeed. but i don't care. the song is brilliant.