Dream Theater "Images & Words" 2007 Remix

Oh my god, I'm listening to Images and Words - this could be the worst kick I've ever heard in my entire life (on a pro release anyway), and the snare is pretty fucking horrid as well! Not to mention the fact that there's barely any low-end in Myung's bass; are these seriously all the original tracks just remixed? o_O

EDIT: Meant to say I'm listening to "Pull me Under"

on a DT side note: i am falling in love with the octavarium mix a lot. michael brauer is the mannnn

that whole cd is awesome. kinda weird since most old dt fans hate the new stuff. i despise systematic chaos, both the mix and the songs but ocvatarium and tot are really good albums IMO. octavarium has their best general songwriting i think.

but production wise, octavarium is so friggin good. the balance of eq is very pleasing to the ear and the dynamics are really nice as well. good job mixing and mastering.

I can't stand the early stuff. A Change of Seasons is pretty cool, then Metropolis Part 2 for some reason just makes me feel physically ill. Then Six Degrees is right up there as one of my favourite prog albums EVAR.
Train of Thought is pretty fucking epic, as is Oct, but I'm not digging SC as much. Some of it's okay though.
But that's just me.

I guess they are worried now with their circus act: "look the skills we have *SHREEEEEEEEEEDS*"
I dig Octavarium (thou there's some shit songs there)... hate ToT, CD1 of SDOIT and SC... The thing is: Kevin Moore provided a kind of balance to the bands songwriting/ playing. Now with Jordan, there are 2 virtuoses... that's just to much shredding for me. I really can't hear them anymore and I miss the good old days when the music was in the first place...

Oh, and I'm suffering through ToT just to refresh my memory on the mix, and jesus christ, the kick here is just as horrible as in the "Pull me Under" mix! :ill: It's so fucking nasally and yet muffled, it's like Kevin Shirley boosted the crap out of the 2k region thinking that's where the attack lay (I'll take 4-6k thanks, just like practically every other awesome mixer out there :Smug: ) Damn good guitar tone though

All of DT's albums have moments of genius. All of DT's albums have moments of rubbish. Some have more than others of both categories.

Ultimately I still think you could make a best of containing 2 or 3 hours of great DT material.

Personally I:

really like: Images and Words, Change of Seasons, Metropolis Pt 2
quite like: Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees, Train Of Thought
don't like: Awake, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos

All of DT's albums have moments of genius. All of DT's albums have moments of rubbish. Some have more than others of both categories.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think the Greatest Hit CD is pretty cool. I love the edit version of Home. I wish all their songs were under 6 mins.
I'd like them a lot more.

Oh, and I'm suffering through ToT just to refresh my memory on the mix, and jesus christ, the kick here is just as horrible as in the "Pull me Under" mix! :ill: It's so fucking nasally and yet muffled, it's like Kevin Shirley boosted the crap out of the 2k region thinking that's where the attack lay (I'll take 4-6k thanks, just like practically every other awesome mixer out there :Smug: ) Damn good guitar tone though

I love that album
Such a good mix :(

1. Scenes from a memory
2. TOT
3. Octavarium

Now bash me :D

Music is something really personal, and each album awakes different feelings in someone. This 3 records has this moments for me, but also "hate" moments. I don´t like this distortion rap sequences on TOT, I don´t like this terrible ballad on Scenes from a memory..(vomit alarm) but the great feelings outweigh for me.