circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Dream Theater – Systematic Chaos
Roadrunner Records – 1686-179922 – June 5, 2007
By Jason Jordan

dreamtheatersc.jpg

This year marks the Roadrunner debut of two, gigantic (Gigantour?) bands in Megadeth and Dream Theater. Interestingly enough, though it’s highly disputable, Dream Theater have either been on or off since 1994 – the year they unleashed Awake. So according to that claim: Falling into Infinity (1997; off), Scenes from a Memory (1999; on), Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002; off), Train of Thought (2003; on), Octavarium (2005; off), and now Systematic Chaos, which is more like an in-between than an outright triumph or failure.

At 79 minutes total, Systematic Chaos is a long one, and there’s a lot to like and a lot to dislike. Arguably, Dream Theater always offer a couple tracks that should’ve been left on the cutting room floor, even if they include redeeming instrumental qualities. Here those are the lackluster ‘Forsaken’ and the 15-minute ‘The Ministry of Lost Souls,’ which, speaking of the latter, has a dull first half. The others, however, are all keepers in various degrees. Two-part bookend ‘In the Presence of Enemies’ – which makes for 26 minutes when combined – features stunning musicianship as we’ve come to expect from the long-running unit, and generally, they’re at their finest when they’re playing fast and heavy. The bass lines in ‘Part II’ are especially badass. ‘Constant Motion’ and ‘The Dark Eternal Night’ are two examples of hard, succinct DT, recalling riff-happy moments from Train of Thought and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. It’s apparent in ‘Constant Motion’ that, once again, Petrucci and Portnoy have no business contributing vocals because they are both mediocre, even for background vocalists. The gang shouts don’t fit in too well, either, nor do the vocal effects used intermittently during ‘The Dark Eternal Night.’ Still, both have catchy choruses and riveting instrumental portions upon which to feast. No surprise there.

The 11-minute ‘Repentance’ is actually a continuation of the series that began with ‘The Glass Prison’ (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence) for parts I-III, continued with ‘This Dying Soul’ (Train of Thought) for parts IV and V, continued again with ‘The Root of All Evil’ (Octavarium) for parts VI and VII, and concludes (?) with ‘Repentance’ for parts VIII (‘Regret’) and IX (‘Restitution’). There’s quite an Opeth vibe due to the mellotron, and coincidentally, in Ayreon fashion, Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, ex-Bloodbath) contributes guest spoken vocals as well as Jon Anderson (Yes), David Ellefson (F5, ex-Megadeth), Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation), Steve Hogarth (Marillion), Chris Jericho (Fozzy), Neal Morse (ex-Spock’s Beard), Joe Satriani, Corey Taylor (Slipknot), Steve Vai, and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree). ‘Prophets of War’ is a 6-minute commentary on Iraq, mirroring sentiments found in Megadeth’s United Abominations, but also seems to value function over form.

In the end, Systematic Chaos will please loyal Dream Theater fanatics – obviously – though causal aficionados should look into prior efforts long before this one. Sure, it has its satisfying moments, but others like Train of Thought, Scenes from a Memory, Awake, Images & Words, et cetera best this easily. Now, let’s hope the follow-up breaks the on/off track record, because if it doesn’t, it’s gonna kinda suck.

Official Dream Theater Website
Official Roadrunner Records Website

DT has been rehashing snoozer material for quite some time now.

Debut and I&W were amazing ... Train of Thought had its moments ... but the rest ... just ... masturbatory cacophony.

Where is Kevin Moore anyway?

Are you joking? This album is so much more sophisticated and fresh compared to Train of Thought. Their best since Scenes from a Memory, no fucking question. They really deliverd this time, and I'm not even a fanatic of the band. Petrucci soloing is more edged-out, not as robotic and all. Portnoy is a percussion god. Labrie's vocals aren't as overpowering as they once were either. Each song is different, with its own identity. Glad to see 'em back.

9/10:worship:

DT haven't done anything to interest me since Images and Words.

I'll wait until my local CD store has it in the bargain bin, like I have with their previous three. Although the guest line-up is pretty darn impressive! The names Akerfeldt, Wilson, Satriani and Gildenlow may just be enough for me to check this out!

'Constant Motion' sounds like a rip-off of Metallica mid-days and 'The Dark Eternal Night' is plain horrible with those growls

It’s apparent in ‘Constant Motion’ that, once again, Petrucci and Portnoy have no business contributing vocals because they are both mediocre, even for background vocalists. The gang shouts don’t fit in too well, either, nor do the vocal effects used intermittently during ‘The Dark Eternal Night.’

Totally agree.

The rest is quite enjoyable and for me the best is 'The Ministry Of Lost Souls' that far from dull I found it very interesting and catchy.

Is worst than "Octavarium" but better than the terrible TOT, still they cannot managed the glory of IAW or SFAM

NP: Candlemass - 'Destroyer'

I am in total agreement with this reviewer. Good job. Actually my review was almost identical-with a lot more detail.

I've seen that on/off/on... characterisation of DT's albums before, and as a devoted DT fan, I have to say that it really sucks. Enforcing an "off" onto Six Degrees just shows that the perpetrators haven't made the effort of getting properly into this album, and what's worse, it manipulates people into avoiding it.

Well, friends, just to put things straight: Six Degrees and Octavarium are fantastic albums, simply masterpieces, along with all other DT albums.

I personally prefer the post-Scenes albums to the earlier, because I find that DT took a much more progressive direction with Six Degrees, but I respect the many fans who like W&I, Awake and Scenes.

Friends, let's realise that the flagship of prog merits far more than having such arbitrary, outlandish theories pressed down upon them.

Nicky.

Personally, I don't consider myself a major fan of the band as I only liked Scenes, Awake, Images, Seasons and about 3 tracks off turbulence. I find the newer stuff to be pretty boring, and while I am a massive fan of shred guitar and over the top solos, I cant help but find Petruccis playing a little on the tasteless side these days. I really hope the band do another "Liquid Tension Experiment" release at some point as I found them to be better than the recent DT stuff. Each to their own though.

This is hands-down their best since Scenes. ToT had its moments, Octavarium was pretty thoroughly mediocre, Six Degrees was somewhere between the two. This dominates all three of those but doesn't manage to best the classics. Extremely good stuff for prog fans.

Can someone agree that DT have not done anything groundbreaking or original? Fuck man, they didn't invent the wheel!! The last good album from this band was "Awake." I say boot LaBrie, and get some new blood. I'm tired of the same overdone virtuosity.

Copy came in the mail, and whoo. It's very nice, yet sounds sad a lot of the time... anyone else think that? Kicks butt though.

I shit you not, when I first heard the new single from this album, I thought "oh, another Metallica clone"? Dream Theater is not that bad instrumentally, but James LaBrie has a near unbearable voice (of course, I say this with a bias against James Hetfield's voice, which is infinitely worse to me).

ToT is definitely the most "accessible" DT album. Whether thats good or bad is up to you.

Agreed there, it's my favorite.

I shit you not, when I first heard the new single from this album, I thought "oh, another Metallica clone"? Dream Theater is not that bad instrumentally, but James LaBrie has a near unbearable voice (of course, I say this with a bias against James Hetfield's voice, which is infinitely worse to me).

Labrie's vocal performance was much better than his previous works, I take it you didn't listen to the whole album?

Definitely a great release by DT. l like the edge they put on a couple of the songs & l like the extreme prog vibe they instill on others...eclectic & interesting. Repentence is the weak link...too spaced out feeling & the soundbites were overdone. So far, this is my #1 release of '07.
Those that are wanting a rehash of I&W or Awake have missed the boat. DT have moved on...you were left at the dock. Even Kevin Moore, who was the big contributor on those, quit because he no longer liked the material he was writing.