Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

lol wow..i actually loved train of thought!...fair enuff but neway..overall a good record, good effort

Definitely a great release by DT. l like the edge they put on a couple of the songs & l like the extreme prog vibe they instill on others...eclectic & interesting. Repentence is the weak link...too spaced out feeling & the soundbites were overdone. So far, this is my #1 release of '07.
Those that are wanting a rehash of I&W or Awake have missed the boat. DT have moved on...you were left at the dock. Even Kevin Moore, who was the big contributor on those, quit because he no longer liked the material he was writing.
Yeah, I guess I missed the boat or was left on the dock. I said, I havent liked snything this band has done since "Awake." I hven't missed a fuckin' thing with DT. Same old shit.Period.

To be completely honest, I think this is their worst album by a long shot.

I liked the first song, but it pretty much went downhill (on a very steep slope) from there.

Yeah, I guess I missed the boat or was left on the dock. I said, I havent liked snything this band has done since "Awake." I hven't missed a fuckin' thing with DT. Same old shit.Period.

And they don't miss you...or need you. They have more fans than any prog metal band on the market. Fans that recognize talent & good material...which is the reason for their continued growth. Period.

The album does get a little bland towards the end but there are some brilliant moments and I think that it is pretty safe to say that Dream Theater has not lost its touch yet. A damn fine album overall.

9/10

I found some of the earlier albums (90's) such as Awake and Falling Into Infinity fairly steady. I thought this new album was great as each song in contrast to said albums stands out individually with its own qualities. One of my few criticisms is that I think Repentance is too long but likewise impressively shows Dream Theatre's ability to dabble in other bands styles such as Porcupine tree. People should be careful not to buy the album based on the large list of guests like Satriani as they only say a few lines each.

If you are a DT fan there is no reason why you should not like this album. The only track that isn't very good is Repentance. It's unnecessarily long and boring. But otherwise it's a good album.

If you are a DT fan there is no reason why you should not like this album. The only track that isn't very good is Repentance. It's unnecessarily long and boring. But otherwise it's a good album.

Agreed. Everytime l listen to Repentance l keep thinking they could have made that song better someway. The soundbites were way overdone.

And they don't miss you...or need you. They have more fans than any prog metal band on the market. Fans that recognize talent & good material...which is the reason for their continued growth. Period.

I agree fully with you there, Ascension. I'm real happy to share the joy of Dream Theater music with so many people on this earth, and I'm happy that we're enough fans to support them so that they can continue to make the music that they love and that we love, and they can continue to captivate us with every new album.

I'm just puzzled that there are so many people in this forum who don't like DT. Can prog tastes really be so different? Have the detractors devoted the time and effort required to get properly into Six Degrees, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, that is, at least five concentrated listens?

There's so much talk about Satriani, Vai, Åkerfeldt and others appearing with soundbites on Repentence, but honestly friends, this is only a detail on an album overflowing with innovative music.

Nicky.

This album is alright but in no way is any of it "innovative". You must be nuts man.

Man, isn't it just incredible how Dream Theater just keeps pulling some dull boring wanking unimaginative smelly shit out of their asses and yet it continues to please the fans?

I'd rather stick to Scenes from a Memory, thank you.

I think it's a pretty well done album. Tracks like Ministry of Lost Souls, Forsaken, and In The Presence of Enemies stand out for me. A big improvement from Octavarium.