Dream Theater tone matching

yeah, his tone has really gone hill on Octavarium...I loved his tone the most during the SFAM and SDOIT era. I will say his rhythm tone on ToT was killer though...but SFAM had an overall good sound.

He has a more dry tone. And why did you have to pick the one song that has the WORST tone EVER on that CD to match? lol...please don't use it!!

Good match but not the DT CD I would've used. I love the tone on ToT. Simply incredible.

MKS said:
Good match but not the DT CD I would've used. I love the tone on ToT. Simply incredible.

Well, the cool thing about this patch is that I can simply disengage the stomp (which I'm using to tweak the low mids) to get rid of the mud that's present in his tone on this album and increase the highs a tad and I now have a tone that's much closer to the earlier DT stuff .

ThatGuitarGuy said:
He has a more dry tone. And why did you have to pick the one song that has the WORST tone EVER on that CD to match? lol...please don't use it!!

Hahah...I was bored, and the song had an intro with just guitar so it was easier to work with. I never said I liked the tone! I was more curious as to whether I could match his mega-expensive, elaborite rig's tone by ear using a $400 modeller with no post-eq.

Yeah it's pretty close. I think the difference in tone is coming mostly from the guitar you're using. Wasn't he using a 6 string bass tuned to like Ab or something? I think that's where he gets that metallic (not a good word but all I could come up with) sound that yours is missing. still, you got very close.

Next time try matching the begining of "The Mirror" or something. To get the sound of just one guitar, I bet you could just cut out the left or right channel. That song rules...

This is my least favorite tone on the album, but you nailed it. I fucking love Panic Attack, though, and his live tone on Gigantour was better than most live tones I've heard. I think JP did also mention that Awake was the first time (and one of the only times) he doubled guitars, that may have quite a bit to do with the tone. I'd go for either Pull Me Under, The Mirror/Lie, Home, The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, or Panic Attack, but that's just me.

Jeff

People always mention the Mirror..but the Mirror is practical only for the Mirror. Its not a viable sound for a whole album. I know. I matched the sound on a Roadking and it doesnt play nice with other songs. It simply is too bright and is a case of a certain tone matching a certain song.

I would also say some of that high end crunchiness is a Neve or like preamp boosted

ThatGuitarGuy said:
ohh a baritone. Thats definately no a bass guitar dude lol...its similar in some aspects but more guitar like.

That song is also in A....which makes me cry a bit because man...why...

I probably heard the bass thing from someone who can't tell the difference between baritone and bass. :lol: anyway, wouldn't put it past him. He wears mascara in photo shoots. Never trust anyone who does that. :p

No, it's a bass, rewired and strung up with guitar strings. JP's working on a baritone, but he used a 6 string Silhouette-like-thing with guitar adaptations and tuned down to A for These Walls and Bb for Panic Attack. Will provide interview if needed.

Jeff