Peavey Rockmaster Clip: Death!! Looking for some opinions on tone.

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hey guys, I just recorded a new clip. I chose "Suicide Machine" by Death. Just the first couple riffs or so. I used the Nordstrom mic technique with 2 SM57s. I boosted the Rockmaster with a Boss SD-1. I miced a vintage 30 in my Avatar 2x12. The mics are running into a Presonus Firebox straight into Garage Band. The clip is definitely not perfect. It's a bit dark and dry. The dark quality I can deal with, but while sounding thick the guitars sound too dry to me. This seems to happen on a lot of my clips. Any advice?? thanks!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=452533

-Joe

High shelf?? Sorry, not sure what you mean. The SD-1 was just boosting it slightly really. The majority of the distortion is from the Rockmaster,

-Joe

Yeah if you compare the actual Death track to your clip, it shows that you're lacking a bit in the high mid area. Your tone is more 'dry' sounding, whereas the Death tone is slightly more lively.

A high shelf should help to some extent. It's just an EQ setting that boost or cut every frequency above a certain point.

Also keep in mind that album is quad tracked. Two of the takes are quite dull and ballsy sounding, whereas the other two are more about high end.

I've been trying to figure out how to make my guitars sound more 'alive' and 'in-your-face', too, and even with a good bit of EQ it doesn't seem like that quality is there, it seems to be a good chunk of what's separating amateur mixes from professional ones.

Hell, I'm not looking to sound like TGE, I'm just looking to be more up-close and aggressive sounding like Slaugher of the Soul, Heartwork, Penetrations from the Lost World, Colony, stuff like that - but even with the mic right at the bloody grill it sounds like it's distant and a little muted, and it's driving me nuts!

Any 'pro tips'?

Jeff

Have that same problem JBroll. We found that backing the mic off the grill a touch gave the sound a bit more high-mid and let it breathe a touch more. I always thought shoving it right up against would give me what I wanted, but I was wrong.

JBroll said:
I've been trying to figure out how to make my guitars sound more 'alive' and 'in-your-face', too, and even with a good bit of EQ it doesn't seem like that quality is there, it seems to be a good chunk of what's separating amateur mixes from professional ones.

Hell, I'm not looking to sound like TGE, I'm just looking to be more up-close and aggressive sounding like Slaugher of the Soul, Heartwork, Penetrations from the Lost World, Colony, stuff like that - but even with the mic right at the bloody grill it sounds like it's distant and a little muted, and it's driving me nuts!

Any 'pro tips'?

Jeff

YOU'RE complaining??? :lol: :p