Reamped a song through my Peavey Rockmaster

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I had the opportunity to record a real amp instead of using Gearbox. I've had a Peavey Rockmaster since 1994 and I put it to use today. The chain was Rockmaster > Peavey Classic 120/120 power amp > Marshall 1960A with T75 and V30 in an X pattern. The bottom T75 is the only speaker miced up with an SM57 at the grill and in between the cone and the cap. I did not use a tubescreamer.

The mixes are slightly different, but you'll get the point. Which sound do you prefer, the Rockmaster or Gearbox?

Rockmaster
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7946399

Gearbox
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7894411

Rockmaster.
I would prefer a little tighter tone on the palm mutes though. Still, it's better than gearbox.

edit: Just saw that you mention that you didn't use the tubescreamer in you post...that explains the slight muddiness...

IMHO he rockmaster has a better grain (of course,it's real) but i think the gearbox is more balanced ,tighter and cuts better in the mix. Song is awesome

Thanks for commenting guys. I personally like the tone of the Rockmaster but I think I need to redo the guitars now that I have the D Activator installed in my Ibanez so it can be tighter. Its immensely tighter than the Duncan Distortion I used to originally track this song. The Rockmaster has a pull switch on the gain knob that is kind of like its own little Tube Screamer and is ridiculously tight, but it makes the tone a little too thin for my taste. I also did not like the way the tone was thinned out with my Tube Screamer. The D Activator should solve this little problem.

The rockmaster tone is so much better its not even funny
goddamn dude
dont change a goddamn thing about that tone
HUGE fucking low end, you cant fuck with it man, its a beautiful thing

Oh my god, the Rockmaster is SO much better, and I don't find it particularly thin; quite chunky as a matter of fact! There's a very slight "chink chink" (JUST ONOMATOPOEIA THERE, thank you :loco: ) on the palm mutes that's a little distracting, but nothing a little multiband compression around 6k (but don't quote me on that) wouldn't take care of! Great mix too, I love the drums, especially the kick, though while the snare is good, it has a bit of a weird thing going on with the snap, possibly a reverb artifact (yes that's a direct quote taken from my comment on Ermz' mix, but I feel it's a similar phenomenon in both :D)

Oh, but the bass is just a TAD muddy, so I'd tame that a bit, cuz it's ever so slightly bloated sounding to me. But we're talking subtle as all hell here. Great tune too dude!

Oh my god, the Rockmaster is SO much better, and I don't find it particularly thin; quite chunky as a matter of fact! There's a very slight "chink chink" (JUST ONOMATOPOEIA THERE, thank you :loco: ) on the palm mutes that's a little distracting, but nothing a little multiband compression around 6k (but don't quote me on that) wouldn't take care of! Great mix too, I love the drums, especially the kick, though while the snare is good, it has a bit of a weird thing going on with the snap, possibly a reverb artifact (yes that's a direct quote taken from my comment on Ermz' mix, but I feel it's a similar phenomenon in both :D)

Oh, but the bass is just a TAD muddy, so I'd tame that a bit, cuz it's ever so slightly bloated sounding to me. But we're talking subtle as all hell here. Great tune too dude!

Hey thanks a lot Marcus! I noticed that harshness and yes, it certainly is around 6k. I tried to notch some out but then the guitars got too blurry. It never occurred to me to try multiband compression so I'll have to give that a go.

COuld you be more specific with the snare artifact? I do have a lot of verb on it, so maybe I should try to take a touch off.

There's qualities in both that I like. Rockmaster sounds a bit more defined, but I think Gearbox sounds bigger and thicker.

Did you try blending both?

Hey thanks a lot Marcus! I noticed that harshness and yes, it certainly is around 6k. I tried to notch some out but then the guitars got too blurry. It never occurred to me to try multiband compression so I'll have to give that a go.

COuld you be more specific with the snare artifact? I do have a lot of verb on it, so maybe I should try to take a touch off.

Sure dude! And yeah, I find MBC is the better bet when it's only certain things in a sound that create an unpleasant sound (in this case, palm mutes), rather than an omnipresent thing (where I prefer eq, I've tried MBC set to be constantly active to tame certain frequencies, but it usually ends up sounding...I dunno, weird, I can't explain it, but I don't care for it! :D)

And yeah, as for the snare, it's damn good, but I dunno, just a bit too snappy IMO; perhaps eq'ing some of the air out of the verb, or just bringing down the mix slightly; I dunno, I'm not too experienced with working with snares/verb, so I can't give too many definite suggestions, unfortunately! Oh, and also, the whole mix feels just a touch muddy IMO; pretty sure it's mainly those palm mutes on the guitars, so some woof-taming MBC (sneap-style :D) taking off like 4 dB would probably help there too! But yeah, overall, kickass dude, I love that reverse 'verb fade-in on the shouting vox, really heightens the heaviness of transition!