Guitar Tone? Peavey Rockmaster

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Hola gentlemen. I redid the guitars on another March Hare song called Strange and reamped them through my Peavey Rockmaster.

The total chain was:
ESP Mirage with Dimarzio Super Distortion > Peavey Rockmaster > Peavey 120/120 6L6GC Poweramp > Marshall 1960A cab with V30 and T75 in X pattern (but only the T75 is miced) > SM57 > ART ProMPA tube pre.

I'm digging the new sounds I'm getting out of this old piece of crap Rockmaster! How does it sound to you guys?

Note: the mix is not exactly where I want it, there's some parts missing, and I need to clean up the vox slightly with some strategic auto tunage.

Strange (guitar sound test)

Micing conditions were not ideal. My cab is stuck in the corner of the room and I cannot turn the volume up much at all, but I think it works OK. Picture

Splat ... dude. I just noticed your in vegas!!

Is this project a full on band, or is it just you at home. Cause honestly if its not a band thing id love to get together and exchange some ideas. I love the proggy shit man !!!!

Splat ... dude. I just noticed your in vegas!!

Is this project a full on band, or is it just you at home. Cause honestly if its not a band thing id love to get together and exchange some ideas. I love the proggy shit man !!!!

Yeah, I'm in this shit hole called Las Vegas! As far as the band goes, we used to be a full band many years ago in Salt Lake City, Utah, (and no, I'm not Mormon) but now its just a big internet project with all the dudes. Yeah, we may have to hook up one of these days, but between a wife, two kids and work, I hardly have time to finish this stupid album I'm working on!

Dude i totally understand. Im down in Hendertuckey. Nowadays the only thing I do musically is produce. I have the studio in the apartment and I do live sound for some of the cover bands in this town (more notably, Hair Nation). I do alot of flyers and promo stuff for bands in town too.

Between my 9to5, the GF, and working with Hair Nation recording audio / video, Editing audio / video I barely have time to scratch my ass ....lol

Dude i totally understand. Im down in Hendertuckey. Nowadays the only thing I do musically is produce. I have the studio in the apartment and I do live sound for some of the cover bands in this town (more notably, Hair Nation). I do alot of flyers and promo stuff for bands in town too.

Between my 9to5, the GF, and working with Hair Nation recording audio / video, Editing audio / video I barely have time to scratch my ass ....lol

Ah Henderson. Our house is in Summerlin. That's cool you do live sound for Hair Nation and if I'm ever at a show, I'll hit you up!

Very good mix. Those drums sounds so fucking awesome. Usually I dont ask this kind of things but what you use for toms? Samples? Superior 2.0? They are killer.

Very good mix. Those drums sounds so fucking awesome. Usually I dont ask this kind of things but what you use for toms? Samples? Superior 2.0? They are killer.

Thanks! All the drums and crashes are the Avatar kit from Superior 2.0 except the kick drum. There is also a bit of Slate's 7Z4 room snare heavily compressed and ducked in under the main snare for sustain. I'll probably use the crashes from Superior 1.0 in the final mix though because they sound a lot larger.

Thanks! All the drums and crashes are the Avatar kit from Superior 2.0 except the kick drum. There is also a bit of Slate's 7Z4 room snare heavily compressed and ducked in under the main snare for sustain. I'll probably use the crashes from Superior 1.0 in the final mix though because they sound a lot larger.

Thanks for the info. But for sustain issues wouldn´t be better to use a good reverb? Btw, great song. Hope you finish your album soon. Between so many shit without originality your music sounds really fresh to my ears.

Awesome as usual dude. Is this a new singer?

No, there's always been two singers. You're just more familiar with Matty probably. Jake sings this one and some of the others but he hasn't really had an opportunity to contribute more because he and his wife just had their 4th child. YIKES.

Thanks for the info. But for sustain issues wouldn´t be better to use a good reverb? Btw, great song. Hope you finish your album soon. Between so many shit without originality your music sounds really fresh to my ears.

No problem! I do have a reverb on the main snare as well, but nothing makes the exploding sustain I like as well as that particular Slate sample.

Both the guitar and bass are killer!

Is this a different vocalist from your usual stuff? Sounds REALLY different from the vocals on Wake Darker Skies.

Both the guitar and bass are killer!

Is this a different vocalist from your usual stuff? Sounds REALLY different from the vocals on Wake Darker Skies.

Yes it is. There's always been 2 singers. Matty sings Wake Darker Skies, Clouds at 4:00, Lost at Sea, Both Sides, and a bunch of other ones.
Jake sings Strange, Misplaced Experts, Sand on Fire, Under the Milky Way and so on.