Opinions on my PodXT tone.

joeymusicguy said:
sounds good for a underneath the drums tone..

multiply times 3 or 4 for when the drums kick in

Not quite sure what you mean?? I think it does sound a bit distant, which is weird since it's a Pod. Any suggestions on making it more "in your face"??

-Joe

what i mean is to track it several times, over drums. use the same sound, just play the part the same way 4 times whenever there are drums with the guitar

sounds like the engl setting, am i right?

joeymusicguy said:
what i mean is to track it several times, over drums. use the same sound, just play the part the same way 4 times whenever there are drums with the guitar

sounds like the engl setting, am i right?

Oh OK cool, I'm getting EZ Drummer soon, so I'll experiment with it. No, it's actually the "Big Bottom" model. I don't know why, but I think the Engl model sounds like shit. Maybe I can't tweak it very well, but it sounds very muddy. This was all actually done in Garage Band. Nothing really sophisticated, I don't have or use any plugins. I'd like to, but don't know what would be useful to me.

-Joe

the engl one is actually one of the most accurate, i've compared it in my studio, along with the 5150 and the mesa (which are close, but never close enough, but good enough for people who dont have good amps).

i think the pod takes some getting used to, but i've found every sound on it, usable in some situation or another.

make sure you are using TRS cables when you record from the left+right outputs of the pod xt. if you don't, you're just getting average joe quality.

another cool thing to do, if you've got the cash, is to buy the waves gtr plugin, in which you can turn the cab off on the pod and just record the distorted raw guitar tone from the simulated amp head, and route that to cabs on waves gtr by passing the heads on the plugin. this gives you some different cabinent and mic combinations that you can't get on the pod.

i haven't found a way to mix them (record pod's cab simulation, and the raw tone at the same time) cuz its not really possible, but i wish it were.

yeah just add some more tracks and send them to a group channel
with some rich high-shelf and then of course lowpass to get rid
of the pod fizz. btw dude, your patch for vai's love of god sounds
pretty cool, would you mind putting this up somewhere ?

trym^^ said:
yeah just add some more tracks and send them to a group channel
with some rich high-shelf and then of course lowpass to get rid
of the pod fizz. btw dude, your patch for vai's love of god sounds
pretty cool, would you mind putting this up somewhere ?

Cool...Would you mind explaining some of the tech terms to me?? lol, sorry. That Vai patch was actually downloaded from somewhere online, I'd have to find it or post it myself. It originall had delay on it which I turned off.

-Joe

Funny cause the ENGL patches are my favorite...I usually turn down the gain more than halfway on my presents and quad track...sounds sick.

MS Powerball
412 Treadplate cab
67 Condenser Mic
Drive-15
Bass-21
Mid-28
Treble-83
Presence-84
Channel Vol-75

That's just one basic preset I've used in the past...quad tracked 4 times, and a little eq from a waves plugin

Carcass29 said:
MS Powerball
412 Treadplate cab
67 Condenser Mic
Drive-15
Bass-21
Mid-28
Treble-83
Presence-84
Channel Vol-75

That's just one basic preset I've used in the past...quad tracked 4 times, and a little eq from a waves plugin

Thanks! I tried something similar out and it does sound pretty good!!

-Joe

another cool thing to do, if you've got the cash, is to buy the waves gtr plugin, in which you can turn the cab off on the pod and just record the distorted raw guitar tone from the simulated amp head, and route that to cabs on waves gtr by passing the heads on the plugin. this gives you some different cabinent and mic combinations that you can't get on the pod.

i haven't found a way to mix them (record pod's cab simulation, and the raw tone at the same time) cuz its not really possible, but i wish it were.

Whoa...that works great..., I took some old POD tracks and simulated them thru a VST plugin with the amp off and used the different cabs....sounds badass...thanks.

* No problem Joe*

Carcass29 said:
Whoa...that works great..., I took some old POD tracks and simulated them thru a VST plugin with the amp off and used the different cabs....sounds badass...thanks.

* No problem Joe*
you can do all sorts of crazy stuff like this with guitar rig 1 & 2, too. but i think guitar rig 2 sounds horrible. anyways, turning the cab off seems impossible at first, but its possible, you just gotta go to the cab button and select cab 0, which is "no cab, no microphone", and turn air to 0.

im sure you figured that out tho! glad it worked for you, i use it all the time!

Shadow_Walker said:
Nice tone! I also liked Redline a lot :headbang:

Thanks! Redline was my old band, I didn't record or play on that though, I joined right after though. Just uploaded it to give people an idea of what we sounded like.

-Joe

Carcass29 said:
MS Powerball
412 Treadplate cab
67 Condenser Mic
Drive-15
Bass-21
Mid-28
Treble-83
Presence-84
Channel Vol-75

No tubescreamer in front of it?