Dreaming Neon Black

Winged Hellborn

New Metal Member
Jul 24, 2002
Visit site
I know this has probably been asked a MILLION times, but i'm new to the board and want to know. Whats the story to DNB? Someone died..i got that far..lol...and someones insanelly depressed...thats all i know. There has to be more. Thanks!

Warrel Dane (singer) had a friend a while back who went on a mission to mexico or some place like that and she hasnt been seen or heard from again... and while writing DNB, Warrel had dreams about her, that she drowned, that she's dead, etc... so that's what the lyrics are about... "meet me in the drowning pool of tears" <----- everyone else, correct me if im wrong, but i believe thats what it is

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but I'll try to explain the story. Supposedely its based around an actual occurrence that happened in Warrell's life in which he was involved with a woman and the women disappeared. I'm not for sure, but I believe Warrell was romantically involved with the woman. Dreaming Neon Black tells of "the fall of one man' sanity" and all the emotions, reoccurring thoughts, dreams, and questions he has regarding the tragic loss, or disappearance, of this woman that apparently played a significant part in his life. The man questions God and his own existence, among other things, and is going through many emotions that follow any significant loss in anyone's life and subsequently loses his sanity. Hope this helps out.

Oh WD, romantic ha!..thats a new one.

check out IN MEMORY braindead.

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Warrel Dane about the story of DNB....

--

MU: I've seen the record described as-loosely based on a theme.Is that the case or is there really some more cohesion going on?

WD: Well, there is-the story is purposefully vague because I want people to get different things out of it, perhaps. And I don't want it to be very obvious on the surface, because there's more going on in the story than I'm really letting on when I'm doing interviews.

MU: There goes about 12 of my questions!

WD: (laughs) So, you know, I like making it interesting.

MU: Did you set out to write a concept album?

WD: No. It just so happened that right about the time we were beginning writing for this- I have a friend - an old, old girlfriend - who disappeared, years and years and years ago. Well, not years and years ago, about ten years. Anyway, I had been having these strange dreams about her, just out of nowhere, right when we were starting to write the record. That' s where the title track came from by the way, "Dreaming Neon Black" - I was dreaming that she had been drowned. And this whole thing seemed like - well, I'm having these weird dreams, maybe I have to write a record about her!

--

NP: Dream Theater - Images & Words