Dreams of Consciousness E-Zine:Another New Review

VEHEMENCE

Helping The World To See
Jan 3, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
www.myspace.con
http://www.solnigerdesign.com/doc.htm The review can be found there.

Which basically said.

VEHEMENCE-AND GOD WAS CREATED

I'm not a huge fan of most American "brootal" death metal, finding a lot of bands getting too caught up in technicality, losing sight of writing memorable songs, and mostly sounding pretty much the same. I own every Suffocation cd, do I really need Deeds of Flesh or Course of Empire? And that's ignoring the lyrical banalities. To me, a 6 minute death metal song is nothing but ostentatious, given that at 200 bpm, that would be the equivalent of 20 minutes of a prog-rock band. And pretty pointless as well, since the average metalhead's attention span is tapped out at 3 and a half minutes.
Vehemence was a name I sort of lumped in with everyone else, not really caring to know, figuring they pretty much sounded like that first Cryptopsy album that I never find the time to listen to again.

I couldn't have been more wrong. First of all, And God was Created is almost entirely in ¾ time, which gives it an epic feel. The songs often take on the melodic uplifting nature of the first two Dark Tranquility albums, utilizing acoustic guitars and keyboards but never losing the darkness. And those vocals! Christ, they're as sick as Lord Worm and Frank Mullen combined. Brutality tempered with melody, technicality reined in by all out aggression, here's an hour long death metal album that doesn't get boring halfway through. This is for anyone sick of the derivative.

recommended for fans of: At the Gates, Morbid Angel, Dark Tranquility, Cryptopsy

if you like Vehemence, check out: Merciless, Withering Surface, Autumn Leaves