Lost to Apathy
Feb 26, 2002
Knoxville, TN
www.appropriateapocalypse.com
It will appear in our new issue October the first

Vehemence
God Was Created
(Metal Blade)

Its amazing, looking back, how the American death metal scene and the European one became so different. Where our European brethren melded melody with brutality, we simply added more brutality. For every In Flames and Dark Tranquility we countered with Immolation and Incantation. As a matter of personal taste, I always preferred the European scene and its wonderful folk sensibility. Morbid Angel always bored me. Nile frustrates me. And all the other brutal death bands operating on these shores seem
interchangeable. Vehemence may just change all that. Hailing from Arizona, Vehemence has created the perfect balance between the melodic and the extreme. Fans of Cannibal Corpse as well as fans of At The gates will both find something to like about the bands debut on the legendary Metal Blade records. God Was Created has the technicality and attention to song detail that we expect from seasoned bands in the scene. Their compositions can be unrelently brutal at times, yet delicate and beautiful at other times. The players are tight, talented and know how to write a memorable song. This album is simply refreshing, coming from a stagnant scene that seems to borrow from itself way too often. Their reliance on melody and smart song structures should make all of the blastbeat dependent Death metal clones hang their head in shame. This disturbing concept record is astounding at times, with lyrical themes that are original instead of the usual “I hate God” clichés so prevalent in the scene. Lets hope that Vehemence will lead the charge and revitalize American Death Metal. Just think, if this is their debut, what do these guys have in store for us next. In a year full of outstanding metal releases by veterans in the genre, these Arizona upstarts have stolen the show. God Was Created is not just a good record, it is a required purchase for any fan of extreme metal.