Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
www.myspace.con
View the review at this link: 9/10

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2782763#post2782763

Vehemence – Helping The World To See

Metal Blade Records – 3984-14470-2 - 2004

By Nathan Pearce

Vehemence-Helping100.jpg

Vehemence has quickly become one of the more recognizable names in underground metal. With the work ethic they bring to all aspects of their band (music, lyrics, artwork, touring, publicity, etc.), they deserve every ounce of respect they’ve received. 2004 finds Vehemence releasing their second full-length, Helping The World To See, for Metal Blade Records, and to be honest, I didn’t know exactly what to expect. I thought their first full-length, God Was Created, was a very solid effort, but I wasn’t sure they could maintain their uncanny ability to combine brutality and melody without sacrificing one over the other. In the past, bands have greatly disappointed with their attempts at this. In fact, with the exception of only a select few legends (Carcass, At The Gates, etc), I’ve been disappointed WAY to many times.

Not to worry! As far as I’m concerned, with the release of Helping The World To See, Vehemence has taken a giant step beyond even God Was Created. Furthermore, I am enjoying Helping The World To See just as much as I did Heartwork, when it was first released. While Vehemence is generally slightly more brutal than later day Carcass, I can see parallels with their musical styles. Listen to “Kill For God”, and tell me that couldn’t have fit in perfectly on Heartwork. Not to shortchange Vehemence by constantly comparing them to other amazing brutal/melodic death metal bands, though. Vehemence has already started to solidify a sound and style all their own, and after such a short existence, that is not easy to do.

Don’t get me wrong, though. Helping The World To See is not simply a continuation of God Was Created. On Helping The World To See everything flows MUCH more smoothly. Riffs, melodies, solos, and brutal breakdowns all seem to fit much more naturally. Vehemence no longer sounds like they are trying to meld various extreme metal styles; their songs just seem to sound like a style completely their own. If you haven’t actually heard Vehemence, think of everything good you’ve ever heard in metal, the twin guitar melodies of Iron Maiden, the chilling blasts of black metal bands like Emperor, the brutal pummeling delivered by Morbid Angel and Deicide, and so much more, and combine it. In a way Vehemence is a map of metal’s past, present, and future.

I’d love to go into the importance of lyrics in Vehemence’s music, but I have to try to keep things short in this review. Let’s just say that Nathan Gearhart has expanded his lyrical prowess to include subjects such as euthanasia, suicide bombings, soldiers in battle, and divorce. Don’t worry, though. Gearhart still puts his psychotic twist of horror on each subject. Oh . . . and if you miss the days of tales of Catholic school girls being raped, mutilated, and skull-fucked, bonus-track “Her Beautiful Eyes” will delight.

Vehemence is a rare band that can appeal to nearly all fans metal. With its ability to combine everything from classic metal to melodic death metal to brutal death metal to black metal without sounding contrived, Helping The World To See should become a favorite of many in 2004.

9/10

Vehemence’s Official Website

Metal Blade’s Official Website

Customer Review -

Rating:
stars-4-0.gif
- Finely Crafted
Helping The World To See is a finely crafted album and second by Vehemence. Their first one established the band as one that can play heavy metal, yet project it with a certain amount of intricate beauty. The album however, only improves off of what they already accomplished. The songs are catchier (and not in a bad way), more diverse, and you can really tell the band is maturing. I recommend this to any death metal head that is looking for something a little different and original, yet with enough punch to keep them interested. These guys can play. Their drummer still amazes me. While I have heard others with his skill (just a few though), his originality and creativity with the songs works wonders with the time changes involved. I am extremely please with the quality of production on this album, and very happy I ordered it when I did. If you liked the first one, this one is much better, and if you didn't like the first album, then this one might make up for it.

:worship: :worship: THIS IS an outstanding review in every way! I believe that he (Nathan P.) really pinpointed and captured what Vehemence has been about, is about, and will continue to be about for years to come! NICE JOB!!!!

Look out on: http://www.metaljudgment.com this week for Vehemence's HTWTS review in the Judgment Committee section...Should be out this Thursday night. And if you haven't signed http://www.metalupdate.com 's automatic email update, then do so today! It will send you a link to all Metaljudgment reviews, etc...
:hotjump: :headbang: :hotjump: :headbang: cheers Guys! :kickass:

I'm glad my review seemed worthy to you guys. I'll tell you what . . . 'Helping the World to See' has totally surprised me lately. I just can't stop listening to it. I've been going through a death metal slump lately. Basically, this is the only good death metal album I've heard for quite a while.

Thanks that means alot, there has been alot of releases that havent grabbed my attention, but I can name a few that have over the past years. The new wave of Metal has started and their are alot of promising releases left undiscovered, Ultimate Metal does a great job bringing exposure to some of the highly underated bands. Thanks again Nate the Great!

May I ask who VEHEMENCE (the username) is??? John??? Well, just stopped by to say I just heard a song from God Was Created, and you are the band I have been looking for for a while. Its an awesome sound you guys have there, I really like it a lot, and will try to purchase this new one when I get money. Great job, and keep up the good work, you guys are one of the best bands Ive heard in a long time.