Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Vehemence – Helping The World To See
Metal Blade Records – 3984-14470-2 - 2004
By Nathan Pearce

Vehemence.jpg

Vehemence has quickly become one of the more recognizable names in underground metal. With the work ethic they bring to all aspects of their band (music, lyrics, artwork, touring, publicity, etc.), they deserve every ounce of respect they’ve received. 2004 finds Vehemence releasing their second full-length, Helping The World To See, for Metal Blade Records, and to be honest, I didn’t know exactly what to expect. I thought their first full-length, God Was Created, was a very solid effort, but I wasn’t sure they could maintain their uncanny ability to combine brutality and melody without sacrificing one over the other. In the past, bands have greatly disappointed with their attempts at this. In fact, with the exception of only a select few legends (Carcass, At The Gates, etc), I’ve been disappointed WAY to many times.

Not to worry! As far as I’m concerned, with the release of Helping The World To See, Vehemence has taken a giant step beyond even God Was Created. Furthermore, I am enjoying Helping The World To See just as much as I did Heartwork, when it was first released. While Vehemence is generally slightly more brutal than later day Carcass, I can see parallels with their musical styles. Listen to “Kill For God”, and tell me that couldn’t have fit in perfectly on Heartwork. Not to shortchange Vehemence by constantly comparing them to other amazing brutal/melodic death metal bands, though. Vehemence has already started to solidify a sound and style all their own, and after such a short existence, that is not easy to do.

Don’t get me wrong, though. Helping The World To See is not simply a continuation of God Was Created. On Helping The World To See everything flows MUCH more smoothly. Riffs, melodies, solos, and brutal breakdowns all seem to fit much more naturally. Vehemence no longer sound like they are trying to meld various extreme metal styles; their songs just seem to sound like a style completely their own. If you haven’t actually heard Vehemence, think of everything good you’ve ever heard in metal, the twin guitar melodies of Iron Maiden, the chilling blasts of black metal bands like Emperor, the brutal pummeling delivered by Morbid Angel and Deicide, and so much more, and combine it. In a way Vehemence is a map of metal’s past, present, and future.

I’d love to go into the importance of lyrics in Vehemence’s music, but I have to try to keep things short in this review. Let’s just say that Nathan Gearhart has expanded his lyrical prowess to include subjects such as euthanasia, suicide bombings, soldiers in battle, and divorce. Don’t worry, though. Gearhart still puts his psychotic twist of horror on each subject. Oh . . . and if you miss the days of tales of Catholic school girls being raped, mutilated, and skull-fucked, bonus-track “Her Beautiful Eyes” will delight.

Vehemence is a rare band that can appeal to nearly all fans metal. With its ability to combine everything from classic metal to melodic death metal to brutal death metal to black metal without sounding contrived, Helping The World To See should become a favorite of many in 2004.

9/10

Vehemence’s Official Website
Metal Blade’s Official Website

I couldn't help but want to kill myself while reading this review. I tried to comprehend what he/she was trying to convey, but i kept on thinking about that sharp daggar beside me on my desk. More effort on his/her behalf would gladely be appreciated while reviewing a cd of this stature.