Dresden - all's fair in love and war, or not?

JayKeeley said:
I've never actually read any of his other books other than B20. The SAS are just so fucking cool though. What else should I read of his?
well, the other SAS book is okay, but let's face it, B20 is so incredible as to be unmatchable. his fiction books should be read in order. Not earth shattering, but entertaining, because the SAS trained him so well, he knows all kinds of ways to explode things and kill.

JayKeeley said:
I wonder if we'll get any new SAS accounts from recent excursions into Iraq or Baghdad? Perhaps another Andy McNabb in the making?
we can hope :) there's a book out by the author of the Green Berets, Robin Moore...called The Hunt for Bin Laden, about Special Forces in Afghanistan; pretty good. Did you know one of the Afghan warlords is a former Hell's Angel! hilarious. also good was the "Angel of Death", this chick up in an AWACS which would call down destruction on the taliban units...she would intentionally radio them and they were UNRULY MAD because a woman was bringing down the hellfire.

JayKeeley said:
have you ever stood on the peak of a valley, and watched Tornado GR4's fly past you, at a lower level than where you're standing? I have! It's quite remarkable.
I'll bet...that sounds pretty cool.

JayKeeley said:
Eh? What guilt? I'm honestly not sure what the confusion is. Here we go:

Country A attacks Country B.

Country B retaliates and attacks Country A.

Country A gets its ass kicked and 60 years later is still whining like a bitch.

Well, to distill it, my point is: how is carpet bombing of a city more justified if said city is on the losing side?

With guilt I was refering to what I thought you had in mind when you seemed to look upon the Dresden bombings as more justified.

lizard said:
also good was the "Angel of Death", this chick up in an AWACS which would call down destruction on the taliban units...she would intentionally radio them and they were UNRULY MAD because a woman was bringing down the hellfire.

That sounds great. I'll look into that one.

spaffe said:
Well, to distill it, my point is: how is carpet bombing of a city more justified if said city is on the losing side?

It's not I suppose. But just because Germany lost the war doesn't suddenly absolve the people of their crimes. It took a nation to do what they did, not an army. When Goebbels planted the seed in Hitler's head and denounced the jew, and every other German citizen then took it upon themselves to carry out Kristallnacht, and then help round them up into the ghettos, screaming at them, spitting at them, throwing stones at them, destroying their property etc. and finally help load them on to the trains, then these are the people who burned to ashes. Although the war was over, the punishment was still due.

The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it.

This was the mark of the entire German nation (precluding German jews of course).

JayKeeley said:
It's not I suppose. But just because Germany lost the war doesn't suddenly absolve the people of their crimes. It took a nation to do what they did, not an army. When Goebbels planted the seed in Hitler's head and denounced the jew, and every other German citizen then took it upon themselves to carry out Kristallnacht, and then help round them up into the ghettos, screaming at them, spitting at them, throwing stones at them, destroying their property etc. and finally help load them on to the trains, then these are the people who burned to ashes. Although the war was over, the punishment was still due.

The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it.

This was the mark of the entire German nation (precluding German jews of course).

But I thought we agreed that the people in Dresden had nothing to do with the war or holocaust? And besides, using carpet bombing as a "punishment" for those who did bad things to jews, equals the precision in doing needle work wearing mittens

And besides, are you saying it was Goebbles who turned Hitler into an anti-semite? o_O

spaffe said:
But I thought we agreed that the people in Dresden had nothing to do with the war or holocaust?

But how does anyone truly know that? Were the jews excluded from being rounded up in Dresden (or any other German city for that matter). I speculate that the entire nation banded together to help push forward the plans of Hitler's cabinet. The chances are, the Germans in Dresden did their part to remove the jew after Goebbles gave word.

And besides, are you saying it was Goebbles who turned Hitler into an anti-semite? o_O

No no, only in that he fulfilled his duties as minister of propaganda.