Driver Issues with Roland Duo Capture EX

MoTang

Jan 27, 2014
I don't know if this is the right area, but I guess it's worth a shot.

So I have recently got a new laptop. It has an i7-4700 and 8 gigs of ram.

I wanted to use my Roland interface with the laptop. However, I've been having many issues.

I installed the official Roland drivers for Windows 8 (my computer uses Windows 8) but I was starting to get crackling noises and other noticeable sound issues using the official drivers. As a result, I decided to switch over to ASIO4All drivers instead.

ASIO4All got rid of all of the crackling issues and such, but then now I am running into another problem. During playback through a song or during recording, the audio starts to stutter bad and at the taskbar the ASIO4All symbol representing the offline manager becomes a red "!" instead of the green checkmark. This leads me to believe that this again is a driver issue.

The stuttering I described above is also accompanied by a very large CPU spike, if that helps. The CPU spikes from only 17% with around 60 plugins to 80% and 90% all of a sudden according to the performance meter in Reaper. I don't think it has anything to do with the CPU though. I've scanned for viruses using Malwarebytes and I've disabled things like the device battery manager that many cite causes CPU spikes.

Anyone have any idea as to what is causing this? Any solutions?. If I can't solve the issue, I will have to start looking for a new interface that is 100% compatible with Windows 8.

EDIT: Also if there is no chance of solving this issue, I would love suggestions for a new interface similar to the one I'm using at around the same price (so like under $200)

As long as I don't have driver issues and the unit itself sounds decent, I don't care.

EDIT 2:

So perhaps it has nothing to do with my audio interface instead but my laptop. I just tried it on my other audio interface and the same problems occurred.

It appears that the Synth 1 VSTi that I am using is causing the huge CPU spikes. Any advice here? My Synth 1 1st track is sometimes using 55% of my CPU? Lol? Like it spikes up from 1% to 50% during playback usually. The odd thing here is that during playback of the actual synth (ie. during playback when the actual samples are playing) it plays fine but after when they end the problems start occurring.

Maybe too many plugins causing overload, idk. Maybe this PC isn't as strong as I thought it would be? This just seems unreasonable to me as I am running around 74 plugins on a latest mix I did on my old 5 year old PC (with a 3.0 Ghz dual core AMD processor and only 4 gigs of ram) and I only had to start freezing around 65 some plugins. Also, when I even try to render down the file for the synths, Reaper gets through like the first 5 seconds and then infinitely freezes until I hit cancel.

Also, when the CPU spikes occur, my computer isn't getting hot, I can't hear fans, etc. One would think that if my CPU spiked to over 100% (which apparently it is) the computer would feel like an oven with jet engines going.

It has an i7-4700MQ processor, 8 gigs of ram.