New Computer Problem / Pt9 i7

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi there,

I just bought myself a new i7 computer. I transferred my current project to my new computer. Installed all of the latest drivers etc for PT9, Digi003. The problem is that i can't load my project without holding down SHIFT while loading so i'll inactive all the plugins. Once i starting to activate tracks and plugins i get all kind of weird CPU spikes. It seems to have something to do with the busses which seems strange. Because when i active the sends, not the actual auxes where i got my reverbs etc, then i get a spikeoverload in my master channel and sometimes PT freezes while activating the plugins/sends.
and yes, it freezes if I try to load the project without holding down SHIFT.

I got the latest Waves installer installed which was my first thought that the waves plugins crapped out. I'll give you my computer spec and I hope you guys can give me some guidance :)

btw.. i got it to work a few times when activating track per track, but after another reboth its the same story again :S. when it works PT hits the CPU 40% (80-85% CPU on full project, now 45%) less then my last quad AMD :) Just hope to get this going so i can start work!!!

Intel® Core? i7-980 Processor
Socket-LGA1366, Six Core, 3.33Ghz, 12MB, 130W, QPI

609751 ASUS SABERTOOTH X58, Socket-1366
ATX, X58, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA6Gb/s

635819 Corsair CX V2 600W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Standard. 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6

627518 Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 32MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3,5"

635164 Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 2.1, "Silent Series ", 2:rofl:VI, native-H

635619 Nexus Prominent 5 Midi Tower Svart

634168 Corsair SSD Force Series? GT 120GB
SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 555MB/515MB/s read/write, 8

444160 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 6GB CL8
Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL8-8-8-24, for Core i7

Thanks in advance / Christian

And the computer i transferred the project from was a Windows 7 machine to, AMD quad core if that could matter.

Some imput to look:

Your HD are all SATA?

Other important thing to consider (I had huge problem with this, on an approved system):

For Windows Desktop Computers

Supported Nvidia Graphics Cards
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 1.5GB PCIe video board
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 1.5GB PCIe video board
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768MB PCIe video board
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 512MB PCIe video board
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 256MB PCIe video board

Hope that help...

It happened to me too...first, you have to disable some Cpu features from the bios. Some "boost" feature generate an annoying noise in the speakers.
Sometimes when I start PT (8) opening a session, during the plugin loading, I hear a spike and when the session is open I hear nothing from the speaker...usually it's a stance of TC M30 reverb (the track with this plugin has the meter at max, blocked). With a restart I solve the problem.
Other times it happens that during the playback the project starts to distort and I have to restart PT.
In my opinion it's a cpu/firewire bus problem....in my case it doesn't happen everytime, but it's like the fw bus looses the synchronization a little bit

It happened to me too...first, you have to disable some Cpu features from the bios. Some "boost" feature generate an annoying noise in the speakers.

Isn't something you do before PT install?
I ask because when I installed my HD rig, I had to lot of thing like this before really installing PT. Hopefully every step are clearly described on install guide.
But since it's HD, I don't know if same guide exist for Native (not HD native).

I don't remember...but I think I did it after PT installation. I heard the "electrical movement" of the mouse scrolling and also the Hard disk when I did something. I found someone that advice to disable some feature.
Actually I still have a noise but it's a ground loop in my socket...the electrical noise disappeared. Tomorrow I can let you know the features

Thanks for the replies. I already disabled Hyperthreading but i have to look into it some more. For me it seems to be the Waves doubler which usually peaks. But really annoying when PT freezes when i try to enable the plugins. The computer was build by a pro so all thhe hardware is matched. Never encountered such problems before.

Xes Let me know if you remembered which functions etc you disabled :)

Thanks. Did a few changes with the firewire issues in that troubleshooting guide and it worked!!! :D

Cpu is down 40% on a full project mix so now im down to circa 45-55% :D

Thanks!!!

Setup guide is 200 pages long. Do you really think Avid guys wrote it for annoy you. Damn Swedish:lol: