Joeys computer specs

jpsmithrocks

Mar 10, 2011
Los Angeles
1 iStarUSA D-400-6/Q Black Aluminum / Steel 4U Rackmount Server

1 ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 PNY VCQ295NVS-X16-DVI-PB Quadro NVS 295 256MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

1 COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI
1 Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80613I7980X

1 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full

1 SilenX IXP-54-09 80mm Case Fan

1 Intel X25-E Extreme SSDSA2SH032G1 2.5" 32GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

$10 for "special" paste (artic silver 5)

All in all, not a bad way to spend $2.7k and have a computer that will smoke the best of them (any mac)

(Note: this is not including recording, storage and/or sampling hard drives... this is just OS)

talk about fanboyism in good and bad, remember to buy the same mouse too :)

If it makes sense it works... I read the entire thread you sent me called my engineer and he had the luxury of telling me "I told you so" (in regards to getting more bang for my buck by building a DAW "PC"...)

He also called me a fanboy...

EDIT:It should be dually noted that i had been looking for an excuse to change from Mac to PC anyways

thanks for that joey...

heres the link to the thread in which joey discusses the reasoning for the selecting of the components for his DAW

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/591567-intel-i7-980x.html

talk about fanboyism in good and bad, remember to buy the same mouse too ;)

Joey should feel awesome... and/or Honored

Its not everyday that a multiple deployment U.S. Army gets inspired by him enough to go out and buy the exact same DAW...

I would however like to know what hard drives he ended up deciding on...

The cool thing about piggy-backing on his "design" is that it saves me from having to doing all the leg work myself... :D

I think the main reason that it's good not to TOO blindly follow is that especially in the tech world (compared to the music world), there are so many products with products so constantly fluctuating. There can be components that work exactly the same but are a ton cheaper! Also with things like $1000 processors, theres always a chance you can get ones for like half the price but are still $500 as powerful. Joey's setup is awesome and will definitely work for you, but when you do your research you can sometimes save a lot of money!
Of course, if money's not an object then well... do what you please :)

I think the main reason that it's good not to TOO blindly follow is that especially in the tech world (compared to the music world), there are so many products with products so constantly fluctuating. There can be components that work exactly the same but are a ton cheaper! Also with things like $1000 processors, theres always a chance you can get ones for like half the price but are still $500 as powerful. Joey's setup is awesome and will definitely work for you, but when you do your research you can sometimes save a lot of money!

The i7 is the most amazing processor on the market buddy... blazing fast...

The i7 is the most amazing processor on the market buddy... blazing fast...

No doubt about it, didn't say anything to the contrary.
Just said that you can always save a little money by getting the non "Xtreme" versions, which are very similar, but just cant be overclocked as well.

yea definitely I feel and i may just do that... I put everything in my shopping cart had to step out but when I got back and booted up my comp to purchase I realized in my haste i did not put the 32gb SSD because it was out of stock... thats what i get for wanting to rush and get to the long beach gran prix... so i have not bought everything yet...

Yup, because using the same exact Franken-PC will get you Joey's tact.

Remember that part of the new AA and all of the Zombie EP were done on a Mac-based PT rig - the computer really has nothing to do with anything but you being comfortable with the workflow and it being able to handle enough plugins/have low enough latency to do what you need to.

Remember that part of the new AA and all of the Zombie EP were done on a Mac-based PT rig - the computer really has nothing to do with anything but you being comfortable with the workflow and it being able to handle enough plugins/have low enough latency to do what you need to.

Hey, I know I need every gigglehertz I can get on my computer for processing my 150 effect deep chain of ball slap processing....

I would argue this, in just a couple months there will be a new line of processors from both Intel and AMD that will blow this one away. seems like a waste to get something that will be dated in 6 months

Well things will always be dated very soon. So my main thing is get what's powerful and lasts, but is also a good value. A lot of times, this can lie in the mid-high range. The more expensive something is, the faster it'll depreciate.

Why not save $700 and get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product ? It has the NEW Sandy Bridge architecture, and the performance is pretty close to the 980X.
(Edit: And make sure to change your motherboard to something compatible. And also, you should get a more price efficient solid state drive. That Intel one is overkill, plus its 2.5", and you're getting a desktop computer. You can get 3.5". It's cheaper too. WAY CHEAPER.)

Cant-tell-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid.jpg

Well right now I have an imac and a macbook pro and i like them for alot of things but i'm ready to build a DAW... so thats what this will be... about a month ago i made the switch from logic studio to cubase which in my opinion is a bit more elegant than logic... infact what took me the better part of a year to learn how to do in logic I learned in about two weeks on cubase... still working on key commands but its coming of course this will all change once my DAW is built

well, honestly, processors tend to last on the market for at least 2 years.
and most computers get their use in by then. processors don't outdate themselves as fast as cell phones do.

in addition, a Mac i7 can last you years. Mac generally just runs 20x more efficiently than PCs do. I just got a new mac in March. I had been using the same one before then since 2006. only because it just started getting dated.

Umm not true the devil wears prada say's in this interview that joey dropped and started over on his cubase system.
http://youtu.be/nf60s6GTCIg