So I've had my Core i7 for a while...

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
..and holy shit! :kickass:

Songs that took about 1:1 of their duration to render now finish in about a quarter to 1/6 of the time. I had this one song written last summer that has 15 VST-instruments and a whole bunch of other tracks with FX and lots of plugins, clocking in at 4:30. It took about 7 minutes to fully render with a Core 2 Duo E6400 and 2 GB DDR3-667.

So I loaded it up and started rendering... 1 minute at 12 seconds and it's done! :kickass::headbang::kickass::headbang::heh:

Core i7 920, 3x1GB Corsair DDR3-1333 (triple channel) :worship:

i7-640.jpg

ya know i haven't indulged in hardware in sometime, i wanna 965 EE, but then again i also need a new fucking PSU to go along with it.

From what I've seen of the benchmark tests so far the i7 gives a large performance benefit in workstation systems, but not so much for multimedia/gaming systems.

For our purposes that baby is pretty much ideal, though it is disappointing that it wouldn't pull too many more FPS in games than my E6600.

WTF? This CPU costs about 1000 euro here and the mboard is about 300 euro. For how much did you get all that?

edit: i7-920 is 300 euro, 940 is 600 and extreme is 1000

Yes. The stuff in the picture cost 820 euros in total. 300 for the CPU, 300 for the motherboard, 150 for the memory and 70 for the Firewire controller card (Texas Instruments chip). The P6T Deluxe doesn't have a Texas Instruments firewire chip (it has a VIA chip), unlike my previous P5B Deluxe, so I had to buy the controller too.

Yeah I love my Q6600 here, its great not to even think about whether the computer will be able to handle a project.

I may be completely off here, but is the i7 one of the new Penryn processors? Heard about them when I was shopping around for my new computer, but the technology was still too far off for me to wait.

Yeah I love my Q6600 here, its great not to even think about whether the computer will be able to handle a project.

I may be completely off here, but is the i7 one of the new Penryn processors? Heard about them when I was shopping around for my new computer, but the technology was still too far off for me to wait.

Penryn is the codename for the mobile (laptop) Core 2 series of CPUs. They were released in 2007.

Core i7 is codenamed Bloomfield, and they were launched about 4 weeks ago.

The Core i7 CPUs have 4 physical cores and each core has Hyperthreading (resurrected from the old Pentium 4 CPUs), which shows the CPU as an 8-core system. They're monsters when it comes to rendering, beating all previous CPUs by a huge margin - perfect for DAW :)

So I guess now is the perfect time to get a Core 2 Quad, right?
I mean i7s are way too expensive atm (quite understandable as they are new ;) ) and one of the better Core 2 Quads should still last a while (~2 years!? :err: ) for any professional DAW.

I benched a Core i7 965 extreme setup vs. my Core 2 Extreme QX9650 setup (same VGA’s, same RAM –well, different ram speed) and the performance was awfully similar. Of course the 965 gave some extra FPS’s in a couple of games, and had 3DSMax/Sonar 7 render a little faster, but I’m talking about minimal differences here. I honestly expected a little more from Nehalem, but knowing the lack of competition they have, it’s just natural.

Any builders gone i7 ? The P6T looks a solid board as indicated by Torniojaws. Come on get one on yer christmas lists ! Any DVerb 2 tests out there.

TIA