Finally got my new i7 rig!

Hey Ermz why not run two raid setups, one for the system drive and one for the audio drive. I went that route and love it! I also have an e-Sata 1TB external for all my 'crap'.

@Kill-Division: Ahh so you're letting the MoBo do most of the work. Watch out for the voltages it assigns... people have noted them being a bit overzealous and could shorten the life of your components a lot.

@Wolfeman: Was afraid someone would mention that. Quite simply I thought 4 HDDs was already overkill! I'd need to get extra cables to run from the PSU and motherboard, I ate through all my sata ones already.

@Kill-Division: Ahh so you're letting the MoBo do most of the work. Watch out for the voltages it assigns... people have noted them being a bit overzealous and could shorten the life of your components a lot.

I tried a lot of configs from the net, but most of them got me bleu screens.

Just formatted Windows 7-64bit. Everything worked perfect until I changed some settings of my MOTU 896HD. :puke: After that I spend 3 hours trying to get sound from the mediaplayer. Sonar worked oke, but I wanna play cd's along with my recording stuff.:Smug:

It was all the MOTU drivers, they aren't that stable.

The big plus from 64 bit was the extra RAM. On XP-32 I need to watch how many RAM I'm already using.

JUST built my i7 two weeks ago....

i7 920 (overclocked to 3.2)
MSI x58m
3gb DDR3-1600 triple
western 640gb black
Apex case tx-381c
2600xt w/ dual 19" screens

all for under 700 bucks shipped! thx newegg!!

Maybe this will be a dumb question, or maybe not. Here goes. I've always liked Windows, and Apollo, it sounds like you built a tight rig, and if that only cost you $700, would you say that building a rig is the way to go or would a Mac be a better choice? I know Macs are typically more expensive, but my instructors are all convinced that their components are just that much better. Maybe they're just Mac-whores, but I'm looking to get a MUCH better computer for recording and gaming, and I'd like to know my options. Hope I'm not detracting from the OP.

Well, you get the OS if that's your thing. Also it's easier to get customer support when it doesn't work, as it ships as a whole. The PCs pay off with much more bang for your buck, but you need to know what you're doing on some level, or know somebody who does.

Hey erms- good to see a fellow melbourner!

Where did you get most of your parts? CPL? MSI?

Question about your rig- is the reason you got such a hefty video card because of the gaming? Im just started to buy bits and pieces for a new recording PC, and the specs are very similar to yours, minus the VGA. is that such a disaster if im not going to be gaming?

my specs are:

-i7 920
-Asus P6T deluxe V2
-OCZ Gold 1600 DDR3 ram- 3x 2gb
-Corsair TX750 PSU
- 2X WD Cavair Black 500GB HDDs
-Asus EAH4650 512mb VGA

thoughts?

IMO, you don't need a good video card if you're not into design or games. Just get a cool, quiet and reliable one.

Hey erms- good to see a fellow melbourner!

Where did you get most of your parts? CPL? MSI?

Question about your rig- is the reason you got such a hefty video card because of the gaming? Im just started to buy bits and pieces for a new recording PC, and the specs are very similar to yours, minus the VGA. is that such a disaster if im not going to be gaming?

my specs are:

-i7 920
-Asus P6T deluxe V2
-OCZ Gold 1600 DDR3 ram- 3x 2gb
-Corsair TX750 PSU
- 2X WD Cavair Black 500GB HDDs
-Asus EAH4650 512mb VGA

thoughts?

You'll be fine with the cheaper card.

I just use my PC for everything and I need it to crank out some of the latest games as well. The added fan noise doesn't bother me so much.

MSY for most of the parts and CPL for the PSU and the Caviar Black drives!