Need new PC (~£1000 budget)

Teaboy

Cor blimey guv'nor
Nov 22, 2008
London
I've decided to buy a new PC.

It needs to be quiet, and be powerful enough for my home recording (PODxt -> ProFire 610). At the moment I have some old Xeons (3.06GHz) with 2GB of RAM, and if I try to use POD farm + Superior 2.0 then it struggles :p

Here's the spec I have so far:
- Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz
- ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
- Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory
- Antec P183 Case
- Antec CP-850 850W Modular PSU
- Western Digital WD3000HLFS 300GB Hard Drive

This comes to about ~£900. I do want to get a nice graphics card too so I will probably stretch to £1,100.

Should I consider getting a higher CPU? Or more RAM?

Any thoughts?

There's something wrong with your PC - that configuration should work just fine. You could, though, upgrade your RAM to 4GB. Remember that there are plenty of better things to put your money on than a new PC ;)

are you saying you have 2 old xeons running in your pc at 3.06 ghz each?
dude that's more than enough for even some quite heavy duty audio work. Upgrading to 4GB of ram would be a good plan though.

My advice is format the hard disk and start from fresh instead of spending £1000 on a PC which could be spent on other gear

Yes I do have two Xeons running at 3.06GHz. But they sound a lot more impressive than they really are. And there's good reason to upgrade. Firstly, my PSU blew and I replaced it with a standard one - but my motherboard requires an EPS power supply (which means spending about £80) - so I can only use one of the two Xeons. Also, this computer is about 4 years old, so it takes DDR memory which is really hard to get hold of nowadays. So if I'm going to spend ~£300, I might as well just upgrade and sell this computer as it is.

I've also budgeted for other gear ;)