Finally got my new i7 rig!

18d247fd96262ec9a0bec7897ff705c6.gif

What happened to Pentium 4? How many years have I've been out?

P4 (32 bit) 2000 ----> Pentium D (32 bit Dual core) 2005---> Core 2 Duo (64 bit) 2006------> Core 2 Quad (64 bit) 2008 -----> Core i7 2008

However, there are periods in that time frame where AMD processors were ruling the roost. Intel realy got their act together with Core 2.

Yeah, Core 2 was was when desktop processing started to get really special. The i7 is just on a whole new level. At that point where I can stop worrying about how many instances of altiverb im running with the buffer size at 32ms.

Yeah, Core 2 was was when desktop processing started to get really special. The i7 is just on a whole new level. At that point where I can stop worrying about how many instances of altiverb im running with the buffer size at 32ms.

I believe you mean 32 samples Ermz? :D

...and so the geeks arrive :D

Now Ermz, get that thing hitting 4ghz at once! :p My core 2 is sat here at 3.8 stable, so I reckon you should be able to! Good job on the RAID, its well worth it. Shame you didnt SSD it, but those drives you gotcha self are still pretty blistering so yer ok! :)

P4 (32 bit) 2000 ----> Pentium D (32 bit Dual core) 2005---> Core 2 Duo (64 bit) 2006------> Core 2 Quad (64 bit) 2008 -----> Core i7 2008

However, there are periods in that time frame where AMD processors were ruling the roost. Intel realy got their act together with Core 2.

You missed Core2Extreme:heh:

that rig sounds amazing bro. I just got my q8200 up and running a few weeks ago, and it completely obliterates. I had like 4 instances of ampegsvx, 3 of revalver, plus various other vsts running - all with sd2 running the full default kit (all cymbals loaded)...pc didn't even stutter on playback. my old pc would have shit itself.

fear2 runs on full settings with no problem.

I'm also on xp 32-bit still, with all my drives being ide.

...and so the geeks arrive :D

Now Ermz, get that thing hitting 4ghz at once! :p My core 2 is sat here at 3.8 stable, so I reckon you should be able to! Good job on the RAID, its well worth it. Shame you didnt SSD it, but those drives you gotcha self are still pretty blistering so yer ok! :)

Do you think I should use the Raided drives for the system partition or for a dedicated audio drive?

The way I see it is this:

-If I use it on the system drive I get good boot times and generally good system performance for applications. Audio performance gets no boost.

-If I use it for a dedicated audio drive I get great I/O performance for audio files, which would be a godsend when editing with Beat Detective. I could also install my games on here to boot them faster, but the OS would be running off a non-raided partition.

Also, my one regret here is not having the cash to step up to a higher wattage PSU. From what I gather the HX-620 will struggle to run 2 GTX 275s in SLI with 4 HDDs leeching off the system :p

about silence... did you ever consider putting the computer in another room, or far in the room ? you just have to find long cables and that's it. That sounds strange but if there is not too many cables coming from you computer, it's the easiest way to have a perfect silence in the room.

Ermz, I also got the i7.

Specs:
- Intel i7 -920 (now at 3.6 Ghz)
- Cooler Master S
- P6T Professional
- 6 Gb RAM (1600 mhz) (but 3Gb om XP32:erk:)
- OCZ 120 GB SSD
- 4 Samsung F1 disks
- Scyth Nuyng 2 cooler

Are you on Windows 7? 32bits? Wich DAW?

I had problems with W7 64bits finding good drivers.
I'm on XP32 and Sonar 8, but still wanna go the W7 way.

about silence... did you ever consider putting the computer in another room, or far in the room ? you just have to find long cables and that's it. That sounds strange but if there is not too many cables coming from you computer, it's the easiest way to have a perfect silence in the room.

USB cables are fairly limited in how long they can be ( around 15ft ). So that might be a difficult thing to manage.

Ermz, I also got the i7.

Specs:
- Intel i7 -920 (now at 3.6 Ghz)
- Cooler Master S
- P6T Professional
- 6 Gb RAM (1600 mhz) (but 3Gb om XP32:erk:)
- OCZ 120 GB SSD
- 4 Samsung F1 disks
- Scyth Nuyng 2 cooler

Are you on Windows 7? 32bits? Wich DAW?

I had problems with W7 64bits finding good drivers.
I'm on XP32 and Sonar 8, but still wanna go the W7 way.

I've been demoing W7 64-bit, and for the most part it's been running flawlessly. There have been drivers for everything and most programs that are compatible with Vista are compatible with it. The only thing keeping me from turning over to it completely is ProTools.

If you don't mind, could I get some tips from you on how to get the 920 to ~3.6ghz. What sort of voltages and clocks are you running? I'm fairly inexperienced in the area of overclocking.

Cheers!

I've been demoing W7 64-bit, and for the most part it's been running flawlessly. There have been drivers for everything and most programs that are compatible with Vista are compatible with it. The only thing keeping me from turning over to it completely is ProTools.

If you don't mind, could I get some tips from you on how to get the 920 to ~3.6ghz. What sort of voltages and clocks are you running? I'm fairly inexperienced in the area of overclocking.

Cheers!

I did a simple overclock configuration. Wil let you know later, I'm installing W7-64bit right now. Just saw MOTU has new 64 bit drivers. I have a dualboot system (both XP32), 1 for internet and 1 for audio (no internet, no firewall, no security center...).
I'm replacing the XP-internet by the W7-64 internet. Will try to run Sonar 8-64 on it. If SSD3.0 and SD2.0 will run on w7-64, I will uninstall firewall/intenet and make it my audiosystem.

I'm not a overclocker myself. Did all sorts of tweaks wich didn't work out well (bleu screens). Now I'm on a simple settings wich work perfect. Will let you know later.:loco:

Cheers!

Here goes........
Ai Tweaker:

Ai overclock tuner: XMP (this gets the RAMtimes right)
CPU ratio setting: 20
BCLK freq: 18
PCIE freq: 100
DRAM freq: auto
UCLK freq: auto
QPI link data: auto

CPU volt: auto
CPU PLL: auto
QPI/DRAM core volt: 1.35
IOH volt: auto
IOH PCIE volt: auto
ICH volt:auto
ICH PCIE volt: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage
(all other DRAM settings on AUTO)

Load Line calibr: auto
CPU diff: 800 mV

Rest on AiTweaker page on auto.

I got my i7 running dynamic, so it's not always on 3,6 Ghz.
I7's tend to get hot really fast, so always check the CPU temps.

Use Realtemp or some other temp-program.

Meanwhile I'm running Windows 7 X64 (build 7127) and Sonar 8.3 64bit.
Seems to work good.
Just got Steven Slate's SSD3.0 installed, works like a charm.:loco:
EDIT: Also old (32bit) Cakewalk Project Files open like a dream, although some plugins, wich arent installed jet, are not there. I'm happy.

Tommorow I will try installing Superior Drummer2.0 and some plugins.

Let me know how your overclocking goes. (and watch those temps....)

Tom