Drop C groove metal short test

Temps

Aug 13, 2008

guitar is a suhr modern with SSV+ bridge pickup into Axe FX 5150 model, redwirez impulse, Superior 2 & metal foundry drums. only plugins used were a couple instances of Izotope Ozone 5 (on guitars, bass, master) and the Cubase built in compressor. Ozone 5 kicks ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty good. The guitars themselves could use a little more in the lower end, as they sound like they lack a bit of thickness, but they still sound good. The bass drum sounds a little to "clicky" for my taste, i prefer a thicker bass drum as well, one with a sort of "slappy" sound with a good thump behind it. overall, pretty good mix, though.

Edit: Snare could probably come up a little bit in the mix just a tad.

Sounds pretty good. The guitars themselves could use a little more in the lower end, as they sound like they lack a bit of thickness, but they still sound good. The bass drum sounds a little to "clicky" for my taste, i prefer a thicker bass drum as well, one with a sort of "slappy" sound with a good thump behind it. overall, pretty good mix, though.

Edit: Snare could probably come up a little bit in the mix just a tad.
I brought up the low mids on the guitars about half a dB. Bass drum I need to find a different sample, I prefer a slappier kick too but don't have one handy. The kick on the new Gojira is my reference.. so I'll start working on that next.

I brought up the snare a little bit but now I think it has too much air and not enough crack so I'll have to tweak it soem more

I think it sounds badass man!! Killer riffs!!! Fuck yeah! Post more!

cheers
thanks! always want to post more, I just don't have the time to record all that often :(

How do you set up the "Depth-Damp-Sag" parameters inside Axe-Fx when using Redwire impulses?

I set em all to random numbers then tweak incessantly. can't quote the exact numbers they settled out at since I'm at work but you can grab the patch from here and load it into Axe Edit to take a look

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...rn-5150-tones-completed-songs.html#post640112

iirc I uploaded the wrong version of the patch that has the presence at 10 so you definitely gotta turn that down

I'm starting to doubt myself on this one though, I can't remember if I am using a redwirez cab on this one or one of the Ownhammer cabs that was still on the Axe when I bought it off sacha.... hmmmm... if only you could label the fkin user cabs!