Drum Editing in a Collaboration?

Mar 21, 2007
NH, USA
www.myspace.com
I had a question that I hoped to get a quick answer to.

I'm going to be tracking a buddy's Death/Grind band, and they're going to have someone else do the mixing.

I never record anything over the drums until the drums are edited... so the question is... If I'm only getting compensated for the tracking, and the other guy is doing the mixing...

who does the editing? Me, or him? What's the norm?

I'm trying to get a game plan going early cause I'm juggling this, another friends band, building a new kitchen, planning a wedding, and a full time job... and honestly... If I don't have to spend 3+ hours on each song of an 8 song album, I'd MUCH rather not.

Cheers!

i would say you. In an ideal situation the mixer shouldn't have to edit anything - If he did he would be called the editor. Although, if you track everything to a click, you don't have to wait until the drums are quantized to start recording other things. In other words, if everything is tracked to a click, the mixer could in theory still edit your recordings.

still though, i would say that's your job or if the band hires an editor.

I'd just say edit and quantize it yourself. Kinda sucks, but if there are timing issues with the drums it could throw off the rest of the tracking process anyway, even if you're using a click.

yeah, that's the response I was expecting.

**Rant**

I've really over extended myself recently, and I'm trying to avoid a breakdown :p

I'll have to work something out with them to see if we can divvy up the the recording tasks with the other fella involved.

I don't mind editing the drums... in fact, in some sick way it's one of my favorite parts. But when you're recording in a house that's falling down around you because you haven't had a spare moment in 3 weeks you start wondering how many more recording favors you want to give out to your buddies.

Some times I wonder if I could actually make a living off this stuff with amount of bands that ask me to record them... but then I remember I barely charge a thing and that's probably the main reason I'm getting the attention. As soon as you tell a band you want $25 an hour they tend to think a recording of their practice session off of a tascam 4 track ain't so bad. :loco: