Drum machine for black metal

RunesS

Fighter for Bragi
Jul 7, 2007
This thread is kinda derrived from my earlier posting on Battery 3...

I have many times thought about drum machines, and really like the idea about programming a drummachine. Listening to some of Bathory's viking era albums, i clearly hear it must be a drum machine, but i kinda' like it. It works very well to the music...

So i was wondering if anybody knows what machines are traditionally used in black metal? I mean, there must have been a trend i what machines were used on black metal albums.

A quick google search, here at work, suggested maybe the Alesis SR-16... It's also cheap, so maybe thats a place to start...?

I was going to use it on some demos, and in our rehearsal room, so we have something to rehearse to.

Anybody got some suggestions?

Best regards Rune

I don't know about hardware but there are many plugins you can try if you don't mind using your pc for them.Sampletank has some drum sounds that I like.
EZdrummer is a popular one, there are some others too that I don't remember the names of right now.
I don't know if any black metal bands use them though.

I have been using different plugins thorugh the past couple of years... Started with EZdrummer, moved to superior drummer, with the drumkit from hell samples.
I just got NI battery som weeks ago and have been toying with it, and after a couple of pointers from this forum, i'm improving sound.

But i want to try some hardware solutions, for programmable drums.

The SR -16 is good, but its not good for extreme metal or black metal, you would have to program your own patterns, by hand... which could be a pain in the ass :D

The SR -16 is good, but its not good for extreme metal or black metal, you would have to program your own patterns, by hand... which could be a pain in the ass :D

Maybe a fun activity on those loooong nightes in the summer time? :heh:

Do you have a recommendation for a better choice? :)

Maybe a fun activity on those loooong nightes in the summer time? :heh:

Do you have a recommendation for a better choice? :)

Not hardware drum machines :( But Metal Foundry and Addictive Drums might be good, once you tweak the sounds to give them the classic black metal drum tone, they could sound awesome dude :D

Not hardware drum machines :( But Metal Foundry and Addictive Drums might be good, once you tweak the sounds to give them the classic black metal drum tone, they could sound awesome dude :D

Dope! I'm going to check them out, dude...

When you mention these two, is it together, or as two seperate options? Like the snares and toms from 'x' is used with cymbals and kick from 'y'?

Investing in both may be a little to much money right now...

Dope! I'm going to check them out, dude...

When you mention these two, is it together, or as two seperate options? Like the snares and toms from 'x' is used with cymbals and kick from 'y'?

Investing in both may be a little to much money right now...

Well if money is tight at the moment, download Erkan's drum sample pack from here, I can send you a PM with the names of what I think are the best sampes from it, OR I could put together a pack of drum samples, all mixed together with the best sounding ones, and send it to you in a day or two.

Well if money is tight at the moment, download Erkan's drum sample pack from here, I can send you a PM with the names of what I think are the best sampes from it, OR I could put together a pack of drum samples, all mixed together with the best sounding ones, and send it to you in a day or two.

Thanks, dude! That sounds awesome! :D

I would really appreciate the second option! :) I PM with email, or what?

I just recently tried some black metal with Metal Foundry, works pretty well! Those room mics are awesome...