Drum machine for METAL project/band?

vlad88

New Metal Member
Jul 15, 2015
Dacia, Europa
vladdiacritic.ro
Hi everyone,

I know that this topic has been discussed pretty much on forums, including here.

Starting from the idea that I don't have a drummer (and neither a bassist) and I don't want to use a computer or midi for this (I've been making rap beats for years, using software (Reason) and midi controller(s)), I want to use a drum machine for the drums. And even for the bass.
Although, real guitars (rhythm & lead) will be used, of course :D

The main influences of the project/band are: metal, rap and folk.

So this thread is about getting the drum sound as close as possible to a real/metal one; I also have to keep count of the bass part, which I'm also planning to program on the machine.

I have an Akai XR-20. It's not the best thing for acoustic/metal sounds, but I found a few drum hits that sound pretty good. And even a few bass sounds that seem to be suitable for metal (slap bass, pick bass, electric bass etc), even though I'm not an expert to classify/rate them.

I know there's a small chance to find people who have some knowledge about the XR-20, on a metal forum :) But some opinions would be welcome.

Do you think that it's worth it to buy another drum machine for this? If so, which one do you recommend? Basically my budget is around $200-$300 (max), but I can eventually allocate more if the machine can do more than drums and bass (like other instruments, samples, bringing sounds from the outside digitally through a USB connection etc).

The first options would be Alesis SR-16 (older "version") and Alesis SR-18 (newer one).
I know that Alesis SR-18 is very similar to XR-20. The menu is the same but SR-18 has more acoustic and rock/metal kits. How many and how good they really are, I have no idea...

As far as I researched, Alesis SR-16 is used by a lot of metal musicians.
Which one would you recommend between SR-18 and SR-16? Speaking of drum sounds, bass sounds, pads (feel, responsiveness, sensitivity, velocity), workflow...

So, Akai XR-20 vs Alesis SR 16/18
and
Alesis SR-16 vs Alesis SR-18.

Thanks.

PS: I also found a good offer for a Boss Dr 670.

If you want the drums to sound as real as possible... Why don't you want to programme them on a computer?

I prefer programming (or even recording them with no quantization) on a drum machine, I like the workflow more.
Also, software offers way too many options, which affects the process of creation :)

Hi everyone,

I know that this topic has been discussed pretty much on forums, including here.

Starting from the idea that I don't have a drummer (and neither a bassist) and I don't want to use a computer or midi for this (I've been making rap beats for years, using software (Reason) and midi controller(s)), I want to use a drum machine for the drums. And even for the bass.
Although, real guitars (rhythm & lead) will be used, of course :D

The main influences of the project/band are: metal, rap and folk.

So this thread is about getting the drum sound as close as possible to a real/metal one; I also have to keep count of the bass part, which I'm also planning to program on the machine.

I have an Akai XR-20. It's not the best thing for acoustic/metal sounds, but I found a few drum hits that sound pretty good. And even a few bass sounds that seem to be suitable for metal (slap bass, pick bass, electric bass etc), even though I'm not an expert to classify/rate them.

I know there's a small chance to find people who have some knowledge about the XR-20, on a metal forum :) But some opinions would be welcome.

Do you think that it's worth it to buy another drum machine for this? If so, which one do you recommend? Basically my budget is around $200-$300 (max), but I can eventually allocate more if the machine can do more than drums and bass (like other instruments, samples, bringing sounds from the outside digitally through a USB connection etc).

The first options would be Alesis SR-16 (older "version") and Alesis SR-18 (newer one).
I know that Alesis SR-18 is very similar to XR-20. The menu is the same but SR-18 has more acoustic and rock/metal kits. How many and how good they really are, I have no idea...

As far as I researched, Alesis SR-16 is used by a lot of metal musicians.
Which one would you recommend between SR-18 and SR-16? Speaking of drum sounds, bass sounds, pads (feel, responsiveness, sensitivity, velocity), workflow...

So, Akai XR-20 vs Alesis SR 16/18
and
Alesis SR-16 vs Alesis SR-18.

Thanks.

PS: I also found a good offer for a Boss Dr 670.
If you don't have a drummer an a bass player , instead of spendind for a drum machine , I would go to the site of guitarbackingtrack.com. You will get there some great tracks of drum an bass.

Considering that I've been through this the only drum machines that will work with the complexity of metal are the series of Boss:
Dr. Rhythm 660, 770 and 880

I got the 880 as it is the most versatile and you don't have to daisy chain songs when you have meter/tempo changes. The 770 is pretty much the same, 660 you have to create "songs" with one tempo and then string them as sausage. Very painful and long winded experience.

The Alesis doesn't support tempo changes within a song, so I'd steer you away from that.

Sounds...the Boss 770 and 880 probably have the best sounds but that could easily be fixed once you program and dump the midi into a DAW. I've done full albums with the 880 and once you learn to do it right you should be OK.

This was recorded with the 880:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7158850

Now for the most part I've moved on the EZDrummer and midi drums. I am not good enough to play full parts but I use the EZDrummer metal packs and substitute fills with my own playing, accents, etc. either by triggering the pads on the 880 or playing an e-kit.

Here's something I've done with that hybrid approach:

https://www.reverbnation.com/egregoreband/song/23245696-high-energy-fracture-instrumental

I've never heard of too many tonal options hindering creativity. If you know what sound you're going for, Programming midi isn't overwhelming in the slightest.

Nothing wrong with samples if you can't record drums. I personally use addictive drums, I like it a little more than ezdrummer. Just know that no matter whatever magic you do to a drum sample will never sound quite as good as a professionally recorded track. That's why I can't wait to record my own drums.

Ezdrummer 2. Buy the commercial licence if you are going to use beats, or build your own ( simple ) Or superior drummer if you want more controls both programs from toontrack.com

awesome to jam to.. much better than metronome.

I've never programmed an SR-16 but those sounds are heavy. Used them in a few projects. Great for industrial metal sounds. I always wondered if Samael used this drum machine, or at least the samples.