Drum Machine in metal

the only thing triggers do is enable the drummer to hit with less force and get the same sound, this is why they are more prevalent in metal than other places...they take out the dynamic and let you sound like youre wailing the whole time. and for the record playing with triggers can be extremely difficult until you get used to it, you kind of have to relearn how to play drums, it feels and sounds different. its not cheating, its letting you not trail off on your blastbeats like a certain cryptopsy drummer, or possibly making a crappy set sound good.

I mentioned before that triggers can make a mediochre player sound awesome.
I have done a show with the bezerker and the drumming sounded faster than it looked...about twice as fast.

It is possible to double trigger a snare and kick drum for blast beats. If that isn't cheating, then neither is turning on an auto-riffing effect and pretending you are shredding out and arppegiating at amazing speed.

The drummer in one of my bands uses snare and kick triggers. I have played on his kit and found that you don't have to hit as hard, which enables the player to hold a beat longer in some cases.

I agree that an out of time drummer will still be out of time with triggers.

Cryptopsy are cool.

Azrehan said:
Mutant, Lymbonic Art, Forefather, Lord Kaos, Peccatum, Portal, Dodheimsgard have all used drum machines. I don't know what brands they used.

On some CD's I have, I can't tell if it is triggered drums or a machine, eg - the amenta - mictlan demo, Borkanagar - self titled.

If you want to make some cool metal and are a guitarist who can't play drums and can't find a drummer, they are ideal. I don't think it is as deceptive as triggered drums, which enable the mediochre player to sound awesome.

azrehan+burn2.gif

Nope, I believe Grim did drums on that album. Precise, eh?

Edit: The Borknagar album, that is.