Drum machines vs. live drums on V records

darcy

May 7, 2006
Ontario
www.myspace.com
I'm not totally sure which albums have live drums & which use a drum machine, but I must say... Asgeir's drums on the last 2 discs were absolutely mindblowing, especially on Vem Styr Symmetrin?- both the sound quality and the playing are just fantastic. It's too bad he won't be on the new record but I'm sure V knows what he's doing. :kickass:

Anywho... thoughts? Info? I'm curious which albums have which on them, the only one I know for sure that uses drum machines is Cronian - Terra.

If I'm not mistaken all the albums leading up to Visions made use of a drum machine. With that being said I believe that Mr.V is a very talented programer who actually understands the fine details of drums, unlike other musical acts.

Drum-machine:
Hedniskhjärtad
Till Fjälls
Ödemarkens Son
Cosmic Genesis
Cronian - Terra

Drummer:
Visions From The Spiral Generator
The Focusing Blur
Otyg - Älvefärd
Otyg - Sagovindars Boning
Fission - Crater

Not sure about The Astral Factor though, haven't bought that record yet, but I would assume it's a live drummer.

The Rhythm section (Both drums and the bass) was amazing on the last two albums. Can't remember listening to any other albums at times just focusing on the drums/bass like I did with Visions/Blur:) AMAZING work by Asgeir and mr. DiGiorgio...I'm kind of scared about Vintersorg not using them on the new albums...But then again i'm fully confident that the man knows what he's doing and also think that both Benny and Johan are very talented.

George said:
If I'm not mistaken all the albums leading up to Visions made use of a drum machine. With that being said I believe that Mr.V is a very talented programer who actually understands the fine details of drums, unlike other musical acts.
Absolutely, that's one thing I like about it- he writes drums like a drummer would play them, rather than just as a timekeeper, so there is less of that stiffness that distracts for the focus of his voice & guitars.

Thidrek said:
the drums on the focusing blur are programmed?
what drum computer is he using? an analog one like korg 808 or even drum kit from hell?
The drums on The Focusing Blur are live, as are the ones on Visions from the Spiral Generator... Asgeir Mickelson (from Borknagar, Spiral Architect etc) plays on both albums.

To expand on and reiterate what Draugen said

Drum-machine:
Hedniskhjärtad
Till Fjälls
Ödemarkens Son
Cosmic Genesis
Cronian - Terra
Havayoth - His Creation Reversed
Waterclime - The Astral Factor

Drummer:
The Focusing Blur
Otyg - Älvefärd
Fission - Crater

karpsmom said:
To expand on and reiterate what Draugen said

Or even better... :p

Drum-machine:
Hedniskhjärtad
Till Fjälls
Ödemarkens Son
Cosmic Genesis
Cronian - Terra
Havayoth - His Creation Reversed
Waterclime - The Astral Factor

Drummer(you know, one of those guys, people - a man of flesh etc.)
The Focusing Blur
Otyg - Älvefärd
Fission - Crater

karpsmom said:
The drums were programmed up until Visions. Mr. V doesn't play drums on any albums, I don't think he even can play drums.

he even can play drums?...........Mr.V....he even can play drums?

you got to be kidding me.......

"He even can play drums"
You just gotta love that sentence, regardless of what it stands for or what the context behind the whole thing was.:kickass:

I hope the new vintersorg's drummer can play the songs of VFTSG and TFB like asgeir. I hope too the new bassist be so talented as Steve di Giorgio (or equally creative).

if the new album is like the older ones, the technique doesn't matter so much, but the speed do.