Drum n' Bass, Guitars are where it all falls apart - I think?

Redoubt9000

Oct 21, 2011
Hey all :)

I seem to be hitting a wall alot lately (alright, all the time I spose) where in which no matter what I do I simply can't get around to a decent sounding song once the guitars enter into the equation. With the exception of horrible writing or playing, when it comes to even tracking simple riffs - I still manage to spout out garbage in the end. :zombie:

I'm generally happy with my drum and bass processing, but if I'm doing something horrendously wrong, then I seem to be unaware of it X_X I am mixing in an untreated room, so usually I'm resorting to my ATH-M50s and referencing on Focusrite's VRM :erk:

Here's some drum n' bass

I really get into the tut videos and guides on this forum (Emrz, loving the guide so far and congrats on the release~ ) and really loved Chris Lucas's drum mix videos. But when it comes to guitars and resorting to google-fu, it all circles around to me dialing up some icky sounds.

I am using amp sims, and hearing many other mixes that have had some extraordinary results using sims (Widek I'm looking at you) I'm more and more beginning to think it's just me (particularly my mixing) and my guitar (a squire... new pups dropped in, but I don't have a clear idea of how much it may fall short to the sound of other, higher range guitars). :bah:

I'm really not happy with this one, but here it is. I've dialed up around twenty different tones until I simply said screw it all and stuck it with this one
Got rid of the track, the guitars sound so horrendous I'm embarrassed to put them up -_- Will try to update as soon as I can

I always seem to get drawn into some kinda sound like my guitars are getting picked up by a funnel (I don't mean a mic though, I guess the same statement could apply)
I think I just need to put away the guitar and just make drum n' bass tracks -_-

Any general advice on how to approach this, particularly from those that process using sims? Should I just give in, buy a real rig, and hold out from the police everytime they come to knock on my door? Or am I grinding on this a little too much. This time around, no revelations are hitting me :zzz: From time to time I seem to manage hitting a good tone in context to my mix, but here lately it's not clicking for me.

Drums: Superior drummer, with further sampling on kick/snare from goddamn pack :D
Bass processing is just a bunch of heavy compression and filtering, TSE BOD for some extra grit and clack

Last edited by a moderator:
Relatively the same Drum/Bass processing.

Recorded guitars, and they're somewhat ok. Not close to stellar : /

Really not sure what to ask now... >_< Guitars sound really stifled, likely because I didn't bother to pass anything. Does the drum and bass tracking sound around where you guys usually try to aim for? Meh yeah I don't know what it is I want to get out of this sound now that I think about it, think I just need to take a break again

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you highpassing guitars and maybe notching out a spot for bass in the guitar tracks? Im only on laptop speakers right now but the mix seems low/low-mid heavy and the guitars dont seem like they are hard panned?

Yeah I'm having trouble nailing a tone that isn't harsh and fizzy/distant sounding. With that track I didn't hard pan as much as the guitar took on too much edge. Guess I just need to listen to more raw guitar tracks to get a better idea of what I should aim for.