drum programming questioning

rowdi

Aug 22, 2009
im programming my own drums for the first time and am interested to know how u guys go about it

i use logic 8 so i have the exs24/ultrabeat and i also have battrey 3

my question relates to the use of samples like the ones posted here and on other sites. Is it better , more efficient to use midi to do this using the stuff above or to pick individual bits of a kit for example that you have a bunch of wav files for (kick, snare etc) and individually stick those samples on you Daw on the beats/bars as audio files ?

Also do you guys usually use one kit or have 2 kits going at the same time playing the same thing?

i use piano roll. I also have SSD though. If you were going to hand pick samples, your probably better off doing it in ultrabeat. I used reason before i got SSD so im probably not the best person to answer this.

Superior Drummer or Drumkit from Hell are good options. I actually get my drummer to play on the Electronic Kit and record the midi data which I use to trigger Superior Drummer and I also use Drumagog now and then.

I usually program the whole track on the piano roll then once i like the way it sounds and after making sure everything fits with the song i go in and resample everything

so it goes from this

to this

theres nothin done to it besides sampling as u can tell...but then after that i go in and get rid of the machine gunning and do all velocity changes and blending etc

Hi guys just to reiterate

I am using logic 8 so i have the exs24/ultrabeat and i also have battrey 3
I'm not looking to get anything else

Question 1
Is it better, more efficient to use midi or audio samples when doing drums for a song?

The options below are what I am referring to

Option 1
Pick individual bits of a kit that you have wav files for (kick, snare etc)
and individually stick those samples on you Daw on the beats/bars as audio files thus making the drum pattern this way ?

Option 2
Program a midi pattern on one of the above ( EXS 24/Ultrabeat/Battrey3) and use that?

Question 2
Also do you guys usually use one kit or have 2 kits going at the same time playing the same thing ?

hi dalinkwent48

so just to confirm you are using midi to do this and not actual audio samples assembled on the drum track?

just my 2 cents (can you guys tell im bored im postin all over today) id program a midi pattern first then if you like it but dont ike the way those drums sound then go in and sample the whole kit with the hits u like...the midi notes will already be there so it shouldnt take to long to resample..regardless of what programs your using..i usually have 2 kits going with my stuff

hi dalinkwent48

so just to confirm you are using midi to do this and not actual audio samples assembled on the drum track?

no i start out with midi...i generate a full drum track using midi (piano roll)...then after that i go back and resample the whole kit with the samples that i like so that it doesnt sound so fake..so the end result is audio samples but i start out with basic midi notes

ok cool just to confirm so if you like the pattern u basically put the audio samples in on an audio track by following what u did on the midi.?

If so can i ask why you dont go straight in with audio samples and move those around till you like it presuming you know which samples you like to use

yeah once i like it i then put the audio samples on it...i dont go strait in with the samples cuz for me sometimes it just feels like more of a pain in the ass...and 2nd i dont always know which samples i plan on using so this basically gives me the template then i can sample it from there

and question 2 guys

are you using

one kit ?
2+kits playing same thing?
2+kits playing different things?

i got for the most awkward way - acustica beatcraft on windows, turn down the volume on each individual channel and leave one up, mix down to get each channel - pop them onto my external hard drive, load them onto my mac machine, open them in drumtracker, convert them to midi, load them into superior.

on that note if anyone knows a drum writing app on windows or mac (freeware) that can export to midi please tell me and save me hours of cutting and editing