Kontakt as a drum replacement prog?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
I acquired some multisample drum files from this very forum but I'm having trouble. I'm not a drummer at all but rather program drums using a midi controller or by way of keyboard+mouse programming. Some of the sample files I got were .wav files that have the, for example, kick drum playing at increasingly higher velocities. I was thinking that it'd be a single stroke, but it's a multisample file.

I was thinking that the multisamples would be in the format of different wav files to where I'd map them out with velocity, but I guess not. It's all a single wav file. My question is can I use Kontakt for using these multisample files? If so I'm not sure how to import it into there and somehow map out the 'points' where the different velocities are in the wav file, using time.

I also use Cubase, so if there's anything in there that I could use to import this kind of wav multisample file, let me know.

Can someone please quickly point me into the right direction? I'm not sure what to do with a wav file that has 'points' in it.

Dude... I sampled all my cymbals in one day in a long session with all the samples in one ginormous wave file and then splitted it up the next day 8 hours straight. When I was done, I had over 600 samples, perfectly chopped up and ready to be used so.... manual labor is sometimes necessary.

Does your multi kick wave file contain over 600 hits? :) WHAT ARE YOU STANDING THERE FOR? GET TO WORK ALREADY! (Ok, sorry, I've watched too much Grey's Anatomy lately... haha, I'm such a feminine guy.... wait, I did NOT just say that!)

Oh and speaking of automation, there probably are programs out there that check the zero crossings in the audio with a sensitivity or threshold control of some sort, that'll automatically detect when a hit starts and ends, and chop it up automatically. And why I didn't bother searching for that for my 600+ cymbal samples.... I have no clue.

Thanks for the tip, I just wasn't sure if people split them up manually or what because I'm not a drumagog user. I'll get to splicing pronto :heh:

Now I've got to figure out the velocities and exactly which ones to map them to. Apparently, I'm new to this :)

Now I've got to figure out the velocities and exactly which ones to map them to. Apparently, I'm new to this :)

We all were once, right? :)

I don't know how many samples you've got after you split 'em up but make sure to make many in the "medium-hard" range. I guess that's where you'll need the most samples, when you play the drums through a keyboard or a pad etc.

I've got a Nanopad for that reason :) For example, in this multisample, there are 9 different 'zones' (I think they're called zones, anyway). I'll have to take a look at the Kontakt manual and start making my own kit from it. Thanks for the tips.

Well I sometimes use some softsynth drums, but i divide them by tracks... like a real drum. So kicks, snare, tom 01, 02, etc, etc. And then I put drumagog in the master bus and export. But I already know what drum I am going for. So if that was not the case I would export the midi tracks individually and then put drumagog on everything, like a real drum. And for the velocity, in cubase, I ultra zoom the "midi track velocity space spot" and let the mouse dance.