Drum sample replacement and editing tips?

Ratel

Nov 2, 2011
So it's my first time to work on real drums and I just want to know if I'm doing things right:erk:

What I did was enhance the kick and snare's attack with a transient plugin and then sample replaced it with drumagog. The problem is, a lot of samples doesn't read very quick hits, only a few sample reads it. Anyone know why? :confused: And I'm having problems with inconsistent hits. A few snare hits in the start were kinda soft.

In drum editing (I use reaper btw) I followed FORBIDDEN's slip edit tutorial in youtube and it's relly great! Here's what I've done so far and I would like to ask you guys if it sounds okay. Any tips would be great. Thanks a lot!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33408092/The Diviner Drum Edit2.mp3

*english isn't my native language so excuse my grammar* :)

Anyone? :wave: Can't get the snare to sound consistent, the soft hits are lame as hell.

Lately I have found it's best, for me, to just duplicate the snare mic track and edit that one however I need to get it to trigger properly. Using a combination of transient enhancement, EQ of course, making the hits shorter by decreasing the sustain of the hits and using normalization if/where needed. How I work with real drums, I am typically cutting everything but the hard hits out, usually I am only triggering samples on the hard hits and leaving the fills and other parts (blast beats) for the original track only.

Do you mind listing steps on what I should do so I can sample the toms, kick and snare with consistent hits? Sorry I'm still a noob to drum editing and sample replacing so this is all new to me. Thanks man! Liked your Winter Skies page on facebook, amazing stuff!

you could automate threshold.

I've been working on this reaper macro that detects that normalizes transients (and the transient only) that helps with triggering flawlessly.

Sometimes the sample that you may be using is too long and/or there is a pause before the hit. Check that.

I normally kill most of the bleed by using an expander plugin and then trigger it.

Let us know how it goes man. :hotjump:

you could automate threshold.

I've been working on this reaper macro that detects that normalizes transients (and the transient only) that helps with triggering flawlessly.

please let me know when it's done!! :worship:

@xmortumx I really don't know man, the band just gave me a shit ton of gog files to use and I just browsed through them. The name of the sample is Kick5Z1.gog. My chain is Transient Monster w/ high attack -> Drumagog

@thefalloftheheretic What should I do if the sample is too long? Do I just change the sample? Man i am so confused right now :p I'm browsing through a lot of threads right now to better understand. Thanks for the tip!

please let me know when it's done!! :worship:

@xmortumx I really don't know man, the band just gave me a shit ton of gog files to use and I just browsed through them. The name of the sample is Kick5Z1.gog. My chain is Transient Monster w/ high attack -> Drumagog

@thefalloftheheretic What should I do if the sample is too long? Do I just change the sample? Man i am so confused right now :p I'm browsing through a lot of threads right now to better understand. Thanks for the tip!

If you want to 100% trigger then it's ready, just have to set your transient detection threshold, each track only takes a few mins assuming the drummer is somewhat consistent (most tend to be)

NVM: I forgot that dynamic split + normalize does the exact same thing

Here you go, concept of the idea..

http://youtu.be/Eml831Rh6iE

This is something I'm interested in, as Normalizing makes the peak of every hit 0dB, correct? I couldn't get Dynamic Split to work correctly, and Normalize doesn't do a damn thing to my one big chunk of kick drum hits, so I'm guessing they have to be split before you can Normalize? Just couldn't get them to split correctly.

aw man i just saw this. huge thanks! will definitely try it out on my next drum edit. :hotjump:

No prob

This is something I'm interested in, as Normalizing makes the peak of every hit 0dB, correct? I couldn't get Dynamic Split to work correctly, and Normalize doesn't do a damn thing to my one big chunk of kick drum hits, so I'm guessing they have to be split before you can Normalize? Just couldn't get them to split correctly.

Yes, split, remove silence, Select them all and normalize, then glue them.

How I work with real drums, I am typically cutting everything but the hard hits out, usually I am only triggering samples on the hard hits and leaving the fills and other parts (blast beats) for the original track only.

006!! This is exactly what I have been wondering about! I wan't to track real drums and blend samples with the original sounds. But my drummer is very dynamic (Think Brann Dailor, Ghost notes everywhere, and crazy snare fills in like 32nd note triplets)

I was thinkin about just blending samples with the hard hits and leaving ghost notes and fills all natural, But i was worried it would sound like BS.

So this method works? Cause that would be awesome news. Do you by any chance have any recordings available online that showcase this method of only replacing hard hits?