Drum Sampling/PreProduction

iamDouglasRay

DouglasRay
Feb 24, 2012
Atlanta
www.facebook.com
Pt.1
I'll go ahead and say I'm old fashioned I follow the schedule of producing a song as...
-Scratch (if I have one)
-Drums (editing drums)
-Guitar (rythm --> lead)
-Bass
-Vocals (Clean --> Screams)
-Mixing & Mastering

So for a first time producer (that has experience with programming) I am doing drums first. With many projects I have always programmed the drums into one loop (wav. file) but with this I would really like a more "realistic" feel.
Here's a list of what I use and where I want to pan them...

1. Kick (center)
2. Snare (center)
3. Hi Tom (panned L 0%)
4. Mid/Floor Tom (panned R 50%)

*here's where I get lost. I want to treat the rest of the cymbals as part of the OH (overhead setup) [HiHats, Splash, Ride, Crashs, etc.]
I wanna set it up something like this...

5. Hihats & Splash (OH1 panned L 50%)
6. Ride & Crashes (OH2 panned R 50%)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pt.2
When I put the drums in through Mixcraft they seem to stay the same but can seem a bit flat, is there any extra EQing I should do seeing as I already compressed/EQed everything in Reason?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pt.3
What type of effects/pluggins/mixing would you recommend for each? Kick, Snare, etc.?

If there's any kind of input on anything, any know how I would love to know (even if it is a link to another site/forum.)
**Im NOT an idiot, so do not treat me as such. I still have common sense, just not very much know how when using new studio equipment. I am eager to learn though

I think the search button for pt 3
Pt 2 why compress and eq in reason when your mix is gonna be in mixcraft? You'll just end up with sounds that don't fit your mix.

Tim

Pt.3 I don't lack common sense, I wouldn't have asked such a general question if I didn't already do some research. I'm here to learn not jump ahead. I've already learned about basic compression/EQ over drums (in general) I'm looking for other peoples ideas on how to get a punchier sound from the drums. If you have it either link it, or be helpful(as nice as you can atleast).
Don't treat me like a child.

Pt.2 Reasons mix of compressors, maximizers and equalizers gave me the smooth, punchy feel I was looking for so I figured I could move it to the mix without needing to do much work with them in editing. (that was a mistake)

No disrespect. I'm here looking to better myself as a musician, and a new home producer. I'd appreciate the same amount of help and consideration I'm sure a lot of us didn't have when they were young and unknowledgable.
Thank you for posting though.

I'm going to have to say all your questions are almost too general to answer in a helpful way. Everything in a mix is always relative to the source so for someone to start giving advice like "scoop some mids on the kick and compress it at 4:1 with a medium attack fast release" could just damage whatever you are working on. Maybe your samples are already compressed and midscooped. The people here at UM are the most helpful when you post a clip so they can have a listen and actually give you relevant advice.

The people here at UM are the most helpful when you post a clip so they can have a listen and actually give you relevant advice.

that was more what I was looking for, Im still new to forums (that's the one area of anything I don't have an sort of experience in). I've seen some people with links to "Dropbox" and "SoundCloud". Which would be easier for anyone to listen to?

I can post 2 mixes of a cover I've been working on. (One compressed in Reason, and one Uncompressed but loaded through to Mixcraft). I can have them uploaded tonight.

Alright heres the 2 sets of drum samples I have that were composed in Reason:

1. Drums (compressed/EQed in Reason)
-DropBox
Code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64285856/ReasonCompDrums.mp3
-SoundCloud (for easy listening)

2. Drums (No Compression/EQ)
-DropBox
Code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64285856/ReasonDrumsNoComp.mp3
-SoundCloud

*I put a the Cymbals in the background a bit to give them more of a pan/OH sound. The Toms have been panned a good bit.

No real mixing/mastering has been done to either track

Last edited by a moderator: