Drum Tones

And the funny thing about it is: you don't even need to fuck around with the original sounds too much. It's mostly minor EQ changes with either the Q10 or SSL EQ, then all bussed up, New Yorked and sent to a plate (snare/toms) and an Altiverb room (kick/snare/toms).

i noticed that too when i started using DHFS, u dont need to tweak alot to get nice results like yours!!! very good!

And the funny thing about it is: you don't even need to fuck around with the original sounds too much. It's mostly minor EQ changes with either the Q10 or SSL EQ, then all bussed up, New Yorked and sent to a plate (snare/toms) and an Altiverb room (kick/snare/toms).

WOW! :headbang: ...short noob question - what is New Yorked?

Actually, what I was referring to is also a trick to make drums fatter and sit better in the mix because it is not only compression but also added EQ.

You set up an aux send with a compressor or limiter and an EQ. Then you squash the signal really hard and set the EQ so that it boosts at 100hz and 10000hz. You also cut at 500-700hz with a very wide Q.

Then you send the whole drum bus to this aux channel. This will really bring your drum tracks to life and make them punchy without cluttering up the mids (which are needed for guitars and vocals).

It's also a good trick to add dynamics to a song. For example in the verse you ride the aux-channel fader to be lower and then you add it back in some more when the chorus comes in.

You can go crazy with it by either sending the whole drum bus or just single drum channels (for example only the close mics and not the room/overheads) or you can also send the bass guitar, too.

Try it, you will love it! All my recording setups have an aux channel labeled "NYC" with a compressor and the EQ set like above by default :)

different instances for each piece of DHFS loaded in you VST folder, one for kick, one for snare, one for toms and another one for amb and over