Trying out Tascam US-1641 Guitar/Bass Tones

Sam Bottner

Jul 18, 2010
Chicago
Finally got this interface working a few days ago and I recorded an old song of my band's to try out some new guitar and bass tones with it. I'm also trying to work out a guitar tone to record another band this monday so I want to have it done.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7071005/Demo8.mp3

Any suggestions on the mix overall or specific stuff or even just comments on the song would be awesome.

Thanks man :) I listened in a car today and the things that were wrong were that the kick had too much sub in it (and was too loud) and the bass was too loud.

Over here the kicks low, and the snares a little hot.

I dig the guitar tone, but i cant really distinguish the bass.

my 2 cents...

Yeah I agree with everything you said. I tried to make the kick a little less clicky and it lost all its presence and volume. Snare is definitely loud, listening again. I've been trying to turn the bass up since I started mixing this, but it always seems to have too much low mids and bass no matter how much I scoop. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Drums are dry in a "HEY THIS IS A SAMPLE" kind of way, especially the snare. Needs more ambience for the drums, IMO. Kick is kinda bassy (and loud), which could interfere with how you perceive the bass guitar. Also if the bass it edited as tightly as the guitars you aren't going to "hear" the bass as much as feel it, IMO. At this point the guitars and bass mesh together IMO as a wall rather than hearing a good seperation. I don't think that's a bad thing though, especially for this kind of music. The last thing I'll say comes down to the snare sample...Aside from being dry, it doesn't sound as compressed as the rest of the mix or something, so that makes it stick out more to me. I like a thuddy uber compressed sounding snare, though.