Drum tuning trouble (Drum Dial)

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Hey everyone, I'm trying to tune my snare using the drum dial and i'm still learning how to use it. While I'm tuning the snare I can get all the lugs to match except 2.. When I try to tighten the lug that's too loose the other shows it has been tightened too and the same thing happens when I try to loosen the other. Could this be a snare hardware issue or am I just totally doing it wrong? learning how to tune drums is hard enough with out this shit going on. Thanks all!

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

start here, and learn how to tune without the drum dial....

A more constructive answer to your question though is that either:

A) head isn't seated properly so it's lopsided on the shell.

B) snare is warped so the head is lopsided on the shell.

C) you're tuning outside of the normal opposing lugs and you're going in a circle in which case chances are all your lugs are probably not "right".

Keep in mind as well that the drum dials, while cool, can be really inaccurate. Next time you're messing with tuning, just tap the head near the drum dial, or the dial itself. Most times the number will change.....

How can I tell if the shell is warped? And are their any fixes for a warped shell? Because i've read the drum timing bible, peaveys guide on drum tuning, ands watched the evans guides on youtube. While I can tune all the other drums by ear I can not tune this snare. Can I seat a previously used head or does it need to be a new one?

How can I tell if the shell is warped? And are their any fixes for a warped shell? Because i've read the drum timing bible, peaveys guide on drum tuning, ands watched the evans guides on youtube. While I can tune all the other drums by ear I can not tune this snare. Can I seat a previously used head or does it need to be a new one?

take the head and lugs off. Place the drum on a flat service rim side down. See if it sits flush or if it wobbles. If it does, it's warped and while you can still use it, tuning it will be harder and it's not really something that's fixable.

I'd always try a new head first.