Drum tuning with Tune-Bot

PlugSlut

New Metal Member
Nov 10, 2010
Hi,

I have just refurbished an old Yamaha 9000GA drum set from the early eighties.

The drum kit consist of:
Rack tom, 12” x 8”, Model Number TT-912GA
Rack tom, 13” x 9”, Model Number TT-913GA
Hanging tom, 14” x 10”, Model Number TT-914GA
Hanging tom, 15” x 12”, Model Number TT-915GA
Floor tom, 16” x 16”, Model Number FT-916GA

All toms heads are Evans G2 batter, G1 reso.

2 x Kick, 24” x 14”, Model Number BD-924GA

The snare is a Pearl Steel Export 14” x 6.5”.

I have already got myself a Tune-Bot.

I want to be able to tune the toms to get the pitch bending sound.
On Tune-Bots website, there are tuning tips for max to low resonance.
Which tuning intervals (batter, reso) do I aim for?

Also; do you have any suggestions for which fundamental notes to tune the above five toms? Major or minor thirds, triads... ?

Thanks a lot.

PlugSlut

I actually had a brief chat with a guy from Remo at a fairly recently artist event and he said he tunes the reso head a minor 3rd higher than the batter. The kit at the show sounded absolutely phenomenal!

Additionally, a sound guy I work with has recommended to start tuning from the floor tom up to the highest tom. For a typical 3 tom set up, the toms could have an interval of perfect 4ths. I'd imagine with more drums, you'd want the interval to be closer together such as minor 3rd.

There are no set rules, use your ear!

I'm one for thirds as well for resonant heads. Some heads, especially in floor toms, I would go with fourths or fifths for the decreased sustain. I would also tune the entire kit starting from the lowest i can get my kick. The main thing I really don't like about your setup is the tom sizes being only an inch difference in diameter. Wide intervals don't sound right to my ears when the shells are that close in size.