Drumagog/aptrigga and blastbeats... save me!

What I've started doing is sending the MIDI output of Drumagog out MIDI interface 1 and then looping interface 1's output into MIDI interface 2's input, then recording a MIDI track of the snare and kick triggers. Once this is done I route the MIDI track out the snare or kick track (with the audio waveform muted).

This way I can manually move the snare and kick hits around and modify their sample velocity as I go if things are a bit too uneven or need in the case they need more dynamics.

What I've started doing is sending the MIDI output of Drumagog out MIDI interface 1 and then looping interface 1's output into MIDI interface 2's input, then recording a MIDI track of the snare and kick triggers. Once this is done I route the MIDI track out the snare or kick track (with the audio waveform muted).

This way I can manually move the snare and kick hits around and modify their sample velocity as I go if things are a bit too uneven or need in the case they need more dynamics.

I used to use this technique to feed a recorded kit into DFHS to use the samples inside of that.

Yup works wonders! Thanks Dave lol

You still would have to make sure everything is triggering correct though before you send to midi though right?

Also when you say output you mean the midi output on your hardware and then use a midi cable to connect the output to the midi input on your recording hardware?

You still would have to make sure everything is triggering correct though before you send to midi though right?

Also when you say output you mean the midi output on your hardware and then use a midi cable to connect the output to the midi input on your recording hardware?

Well in the situation things aren't triggering as well as I would like, I tend to get it to trigger as well as possible, and then draw in the missing hits by hand and remove the duplicates, etc. I find this goes a lot faster than trying to dork with the Drumagog thresholds constantly to make it do the work for me. Only about 15 minutes per song usually.

Yes, I literally loop back a MIDI cable between the interfaces. I've tried using some of the other tools that will generate a MIDI track that are VST format, but none of them come as close to triggering accurately for me as Drumagog does in the high detail mode.

I'm using two wee tricks before triggering with aptrigga in that case:

envelope-shaper to raise the peaks and duck everything else.

for fast hits and doublestrokes etc:
remove silence between hits and for very fast doublestrokes you might even wanna trim the regions a bit so there's even more silence between the hits.....

What i've done for gating toms and snare and stuff is set the threshold for the normal hits, then go through the track manualling from start to finish raising the pre fx volume envelope for hits that are being missed. Doesn't take long and it works perfectly. you don't have to be crazy accurate as long as your getting the hit.
you could just stick your replacement plug in after the gate- or trigger it with the gates midi out if it has one.

Cheers again guys.. i tried most tricks and i get it sampled like it should now, without apptrigga picking up nasty bleed hits.

All very good tips. Another good idea for future recordings of your own, next time you do drums, is go to radioshack and pick up a piezo transducer (part# 273-073A). If you want to get fancy you can also pick up a female 1/4" jack and some heat shrink, and make yourself a nice little contact mic for 6 or 7 bucks. As mentioned before, regular drum triggers will work too if you don't mind paying the extra money, but I wouldn't actually run them through a trigger module. Just stick it on the drum and plug it into your mixer or interface like it was a regular microphone, in addition to your regular snare mic if you have enough inputs. It will sound like complete garbage on it's own, but when you go to trigger a snare sample from it, you'll notice that there is very minimal bleed from the other parts of the kit, and dialing in drumagog or aptrigga or ktdrumtrigger or whatever will be assloads easier than triggering from a regular mic. Theres pretty much no processing involved. Just make sure the dude with the sticks doesnt clobber the hell out of your homemade work of art if you go the radioshack route.

Copy the blasts to a separate track & set drumagog with the appropriate triggering for those sections..... cut the blasts from the main track.

That & get a ddrum pro trigger.... you can use that to trigger a gate next time & really clean things up. (Andy's idea, not mine)

Oh yea, like Oz says, it would be good for triggering a gate too if you didn't want to use samples, but I wouldn't really know because I can't sidechain in Sonar 5. :mad: I think it's time for an upgrade. If you have the money definitely go for the Ddrum trigger. The radioshack method will do the same job but the end result is a really fragile unimpressive looking thing that probably wouldn't survive a single blow from a drumstick. You can bash the hell out of the ddrum triggers all you want and they'll keep going.

i find the best thing to do during blast beats is to simply copy the kick section (or kick trigger section) for the blast beat and place it over the snares. This way your snare (if being 100% replaced) will trigger with the kick at the same time which will also neaten up the blast.

and if the speed needs doubling, just copy the section, move the first copied hit so its in between the first and second hit of the original file, then simply cut in between every hit on the duplicated track and shorten all the ends at the same time until the original track from underneath reveals the other hits.

hope this helps