drummers...can you help me?

Rosa Negra Imortal

love never dies
Jun 13, 2002
Jardim da Saudade
Visit site
I'm going to buy a drumset with the basic contents...the problem is that I don't know nothing about it.
I used to have a brazilian one called "Pingüim", but it was really a shit...but it was good for me just to get the first contact with the instrument.
So, what do you recommend, what is best and why: Pearl?Tama?Premier?Yamaha? any other?

Thanks.

It all depends on how much money you have. If you have an unlimited budget, I'd spring for a DW Birdseye Maple kit. DW is the best at what they do, watch The American Dream III and see what I mean. They put so much research and development into making them, it's almost amazing. If your budget is somewhat limited, Tama and Pearl are pretty close seconds, Yamaha Mapex, and Ludwig are a few fairly good cheap ones, but if I were you, I'd steer clear of Premier or Sonor. What is your budget, BTW?

Where I live (Brazil) instruments are expensive because, for exemple, drums we have to import. So, for me it's better to get a Pearl, Tama or Mapex...they're more commom here. But, I have never heard about this one - DW Birdseye Maple - is it new or something else?

I've always found that, for what you pay for it, Tama offers great products, whether it be kits, hardware, pedals, whatever. Yamaha and DW make fantastic stuff, but they are expensive$$$.

Tama's also tend to be a little heavier and have a very deep and powerful sound relative to kits of about the same price, but a lot of that depends on the heads you get too. If a thick and heavy sound is what you are after, go for a thicker and heavier shell and get some descent Remo heads, maybe pinstrips, but if you want a really powerful tone Remo makes some heads which are black in colour (one type is called Ebony I think), very thick and heavy duty and sure to shake the walls;)

My beef with a lot of drums is that they sound wimpy and kinda shallow, cymbals too. Sabian cymbals are kinda wimpy, but great for recording or close micing which doesn't need much projection. If you want a powerful sound from your cymbals stick with Zildjuan, and if you got the cash, either the brutal Z or the very bright Avedis types of Zildjuans. You can find all this sort of stuff on EBay for like half the price (or much less if you're lucky) as you would pay in the stores.

A word of advice, if you can avoid buying new stuff you'll save a shitload of money, or you'll get twice the drum kit for the same amount of money. New drums, like new cars, cost way way more than used ones and the used one's are every bit as good because drum shells don't wear out (and neither do descent cymbals which haven't been severely mistreated), they always sound just as good (or better) as the day they were made. They may not look as pretty, the colour may be not be as cool as the new stuff you see in the stores, but looks aren't everything, music is blind.

Satori