Drummers -I need your help!

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hi guys :headbang:

I´m playing drums in a band recently and I fucking love it!! :) Now I wanna buy a new drumset. Namely one what I can use for drumrecordings favoring. I own a Pearl Export since 8 years and I´m not lucky with it any more.

What is your favourite Brands? How I can I find THE drumset for me? Any recommendations? I´d like to pay about 800 Euros without Cymbals. Of course I will test a lot of different drumsets in the next time, but maybe I can refine the search with your help, fellas.

Any experience with Mapex? http://rockshop.de/produkt-1087884-1-Mape:rofl:rumsetHorizon.html

Cheers :kickass:

Felix

I owned an earlier Mapex kit (a Mars Pro, long discontinued) and it was a beast. Survived a flood and multiple van tours. Looked ugly by the end, but sounded decent. Only had 2 decent tuning ranges, though.

Your best bet is to definitely look around, like you said. Just about every brand is going to have a decent kit in that price range - Tama, PDP/Pacific, Pearl, Sonor, Taye, Yamaha, etc.

If you can buy used, a Tama Starclassic *might* be in your price range, probably one of the best "bang for the buck" kits I've seen/played.

Things to look for when shopping around include the hardware (single or double braced), how sturdy the drums are when playing, quality of the wood/finish, etc. In that price range you'll probably have a number of woods to choose from, birch and maple being the most popular. Birch is a darker sounding wood, great for recording. Maple tends to be a bit brighter and have more sustain. Of course, you can choose heads to give any kit that sort of sound/tone.

I definitely recommend trying to tune the drums as you're playing them - hopefully the heads that are on them aren't beat to all hell :) Good drums will sound sweet at lots of different tunings; other drums will sound good tuned either low or high, then choked anywhere else.

Thanks for your help Russtopher! Your experience with Mapex drums sounds good to me. I will def check this kit out. Tama Starclassic sounds great but it´s very expensive. I think it would be wise increasing the amount of money to 1000 Euros. I Don´t wanna have a beginner kit, but high end luxus isn´t necessary, as well :)

Just play them before you buy. Besides flavour and look there's one important thing before buying: check that shells out, tune and play them, open them up if possible and see if the finish/shells' edges are regular and the circle is actually round and they're not like an egg due to humidity or a bad finish.

Another thing to take into account is the number of wood layers used: less layers, more resonance.

I'd like to try one pdp (DW affordable little brother) someday. Anyone got clips BTW?

Thanks dudes!! Where I should search for a used drumset...On Ebay? Are there other platforms I should look around?

Just play them before you buy. Besides flavour and look there's one important thing before buying: check that shells out, tune and play them, open them up if possible and see if the finish/shells' edges are regular and the circle is actually round and they're not like an egg due to humidity or a bad finish.

Another thing to take into account is the number of wood layers used: less layers, more resonance.

Thanks for your information, dude :kickass: I appreciate it.